What is faster safari or Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ijack2, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ijack2 macrumors newbie

What is faster. :p please help. (,,,)(^_^)(,,,) <--------mole

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Well considering there is no version of IE for Mac (MS declared they would not support IE Mac a few years back) I'd say Safari. :rolleyes:

3. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

IE for Mac or Windows? IE on Mac is slow and simply terrible. Like Bern mentioned, MS has not updated IE Mac in a long time.

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Not even close. Safari, Safari, Safari, orders of magnitude faster. God Damn I hate IE

5. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Firefox!

Oh wait, what were the choices?

Actually, for me, it goes (on my Mac);

Firefox
    Camino
    Safari
    IE :eek:

6. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

IE on any OS is terrible. Safari is way faster, Camio is really good too, so is Firefox.

7. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ie on mac is painfully slow safari isnt super fast either but its ok

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

On the Mac it's not even worth asking--IE hasn't been updated in years and is dog-slow in comparison to any current browser. It was fast in comparison to Netscape 4, but that's hardly saying much.

If you're comparing Safari to IE6 on Windows, then I'd say it's generally a wash, although there are a handful of sites I've seen that realy drag IE6 down, while others seem unnaturally quick.

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Safari is fast enough. It may seem a little slower than other browsers, but that is just a minor difference in rendering methods (Safari waits until enough data is there to render the whole page; other browsers render as data comes in).

IE on Mac - slow
    IE on Windows - better, but not as fast as Firefox on Windows.

Basically, don't use IE. Unless you absolutely have to.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's pretty safe to say that IE 6.0 on the PC is consistently faster than Safari, however, that's a pretty lame statement considering they're two different browsers on two different operating systems.

If Safari isn't fast enough, then you need to upgrade that internet connection. For most things, it is considered the fastest browser on the Mac. :)

11. belvdr macrumors 601

Are you really going to notice a huge difference in them? Just pick one that satisfies your requirements. I don't think you're going to gain an extra 10 minutes out of the day because you use a browser that may be faster than another one. :rolleyes:

12. paperinacup macrumors 6502

WOAH! People actually use Internet Explorer on Macs?!?!?!

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ever tried buying a Dell with Safari? :(

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Yes I had no problem buying my 2005FPW with Safari

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's more a problem with buying a customised Dell through Safari. So unless you added 512MB of RAM to the 2005FPW, you probably wouldn't have noticed anything. :D

16. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

17. belvdr macrumors 601

And why wouldn't they think that? :) Never seen a company proclaim that its competitors are much better than they are. It's the same with Microsoft, Oracle, Check Point, etc...

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yep, that's safari. twice as fast as firefox. yep.

love apple to death, but they're just liars when it comes to graphs.

19. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Safari is definitely faster than IE. That said, the slowest browser I have used is Netscape 7, that thing takes more processing power just run the bloat-ware attached to it, without even loading a page, than Safari uses to load 10 pages simultaneously.

20. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I had to put IE on my mac the other day to communicate with XM Radio's horrible website (adding a second subscription; the page would not render at all in firefox and it was broken in Safari). Yecch. And you're crazy to use IE on a PC as well-- get Firefox.

21. shidoshi macrumors regular

I can't agree with that. Safari seems great at first, but it seems to get slower and slower as you continue using it. I really like Safari, but I've gone back to trying out FireFox because even on my 2GHz G5 iMac with 1GB of RAM, at a certain point Safari bogs down when it comes to things like switch between it and a different app, or back to it from a different app. It also seems to just slow down things in general for me.

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I find it plenty fast enough. If it starts to slow down, resetting it should really help. I agree that it's really not good enough to have to keep resetting an app to keep it up to speed, but I don't personally have a problem with it (the slow down). :)

23. pigwin32 macrumors regular

Actually the reason to use Firefox is for all the great plugins. Firefox is plenty fast enough, I won't suggest it smacks down Safari but I just have to have the ability to remove/block advertisements/flash and the bugmenot plugin is brilliant.

24. cube macrumors G4