what is faster?the new G4 800 IBook with 256 KB Cache or theold 900MHZ G3 with 512kb

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by trunksfujita, Oct 27, 2003.

1. trunksfujita macrumors member

What is faster between the two 12.1" ibook,<br>

800MHz PowerPC G4<br>
    256K L2 cache @ 800MHz<br><br>
    System bus @ 100MHz<br><br>

And<br>

900MHz PowerPC G3<br>
    512K L2 cache @900MHz<br>
    System bus @ 100MHz<br><br>

i want to think that it is the 900 MHZ because of the Cache Speed.<br>

Does anyone truly knows which is faster?

2. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

This would probly depend on what app you are using. If one was using an app optimised for altivec then i think the g4 ibook would be faster. if the app was not altivec inabled then i think the g3 900 would be faster than the 800 g4.

just my logical estimate but i may be wrong.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with this.

It's worth noting that the G4 has a bus speed of 133, not 100.

Since more and more apps (like the iapps) are at least somewhat altivec aware, I think the G4 will feel faster most of the time. But there definitely are times that the G3 900 could win.

4. jamall macrumors regular

The faster system bus in the G4 would be offset by the halving in cache size for most applications, so the main difference between the two would be altivec. In an OS X environment, and taking the graphics chips into account, this would tip the scales in favour of the G4, but as QCassidy352 said, there would be times when the G3 wins.

5. Mr. MacPhisto macrumors 6502

I decided to check this out on Friday night at the Apple Store. A friend of mine brought his 12 inch, 900MHZ G3 running 10.2.7 with 640MB of RAM. We also used the 12" G4 iBook and the 14" 900MHZ G3 iBook at the store - and had the help of an Apple Store employee.

The G4 iBook generally had a snappier interface. Graphic effects were better on the G4 (the Radeon 9000 had something to do with this). iPhoto, iMovie, and iTunes all launched faster on the G4 than on either of the other iBooks (the one we brought in was plugged in for the comparison, just to be on the safe side).

We ran some quicktime movies, opened an iMovie project (due to the wonders of AirPort for transfer to each machine), and also looked at comparisons in web surfing on Safari. Overall, I was impressed with the 800MHZ G4 iBook. It was definitely faster than he previous model. The Radeon 9000 provides a very nice upgrade for the graphics and allow the interface to run better. Altivec makes OS X snappier and will provide a very nice boost when running Photoshop or other Altivec enhanced apps.

The speed increase would not be noticed very much if you just do email, word processing, web surfing, etc. But it is a nice upgrade over the previous model. I expect the 933 and 1GHZ models of the 14" to be very,very nice.