What is going on with Acquisition development?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Feb 3, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

What has happened with Acquisition development? I bought a license for it, expecting development to be semi-frequent at the worst, and it was... But ever since a couple months ago, development has stopped, and the link to the messageboards is no longer on the front page. I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on with Acquisition...
    -Kevin

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

i think he's focusing a lot of time on NewsFire... same guy.. www.newsfirerss.com

so i'm guessing that once he gets newsfire out and about then development might continue slowly for both..

however i'm a big fan of newsfire, i still use it but he hasn't added any great features to it since grouping and smart groups... i submitted requests for a few really good ideas and he never even responded back. as such, i'm looking at possibly writing my own rss reader that's kinda a psuedo clone of newsfire... i'm sure it'll piss him off but oh well, if he won't do what i want in the product i'll write my own ;)

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I noticed the same thing and wondered if it was going to shut down :confused:

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah I don't care about having messages telling me to pay for software... The reason why I paid for it was to support its developer and its development. I feel slighted out of $17 if development is going to be this slow...
    -Kevin

5. Logik macrumors 6502a

what doesn't it do that you want it to do? possible you could email him and request it? :-/

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

MS Word has done what i've needed it to do for over 10 years. However, I appreciate the improvements MS has made because they are paid to innovate. Thus, I am paying him to improve software, reduce memory leaks, increase performance, and add new features.

As for new features, I have discussed them w/ him before on the AcquisitionX messageboards
    - the removal of the drawer and a new Mail (tiger) esque bar instead (this feature was his suggestion)
    - fixing of a few memory leaks
    - improving connection speed
    - supporting gnutella2
    - supporting other protocols

And those are only the ideas that i've thought of... not including his original ideas and others

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Logik

Thanks some how I missed that last night :cool: Slow but steady is ok since it does everything I like it to do, just wondered a bit since anything was done ;)

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmmm I went to the newsfire site to see if they had a forum I could go to and see if he's been posting and stuff, but they don't have one...
    -Kevin

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

After a bit of googling, I found this link...
    http://www.sciforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
    Those are the Acquisition forums. The first post is from the developer and it says that the part of the forum is temporarily closed. His profile says "In Exile." It has been closed since Dec 10 though... Hopefully Acquisition development will resume!
    -Kevin

Edit: I browsed the forum a bit, and he did say on December 5 that he doesn't believe Acquisition had yet matured into a fully stable user friendly client. So at least that means he must have plans to get back to development?

-Kevin

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

spaceballl
    I really hope so, for me this is the one I like the best as I've tried some of the others. I noticed that the price is $17 which I think I paid $15 at the time so maybe with that said he will continue or bring in some help, fresh ideas? Still I like it so don't get me wrong its nice to see progress even if its a post saying he needs some time off, be back soon to continue :D

11. kjodmb macrumors newbie

not exactly development...

but you seem to know quite a bit about acq. the browser window is nowhere to be found. i went through every drop down, incl acq. help [no help]. this happened once before but i can't remember what i did to get it back. thanks!

12. LimitedEdition macrumors member

One thing I don't like about Acquisition is the anti-corporate propaganda messages in it - very unprofessional.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree, and the whole bit he used to have about karma, it was horrible, i understand that you would like to be paid for the software you are developing, but why should you be constantly pestering people every 15 mins for their money, when you know that your product is not a mature release.....

14. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

still no return to development... i'm beginning to feel like my money wasn't well spent.
    -Kevin

15. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

a lack of answer from the answer

So... I e-mailed the developer of Acquisition to ask a few questions. This guy is definitely not "friendly." Here's the dialogue back and forth.

Me:
    "I was just wondering what the status of the program is? I loved and still do love it, but it was fun when there were regular or semi-regular updates. I paid for it to support its development, and development seems to have stopped. I was just wondering if you had an update..."

Him:
    "I have no news to report."

Me:
    "Is development on Acquisition terminated? If not, when do you expect it to resume?"

Him:
    "Huh? Why would it be?"

Me:
    "Because there hasn't been an update in months. When is development expected to resume?"

Him:
    "The fact that there has not been an update hardly implies that development has stopped."

Me:
    "I really like Acquisition. When can we expect an update? Also, why
    have you taken the forums down? I'd like to chat w/ other users of the
    program."

Him:
    (no response yet)

Me:
    "P.S. Thank you for taking the time to be appreciative of those who pay
    for your program and answer with more than one liner e-mails. Oh
    that's right... you haven't done that."

Him:
    (no response yet)

So as you can see, he's a REALLY nice guy.

-Kevin

16. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha so I DID get a response...

Him:
    Keep up the abuse and I will never respond to you again.

Gotta love a friendly software developer!

So the update... I've sent him this:
    "David,

I didn't consider my last email to be abuse. I happily paid for your software to support updates, and as such, after not seeing updates in months, I emailed you merely to find out what is going on with development? Is it done? Updates soon? Roadmap? Etc. You've all but brushed off my responses with snide comments when all I really am is a curious, paying customer. I'm hoping I can get a few words out of you regarding the program. I understand NewsFire is seeing a lot of progress, and I wish you best of luck with it. If it is taking up all of your time, and thus, Acquisition can't be worked on, that's all I need to hear. However, if this is the kind of respect you give to customers who pay for your software (i was very close to paying for newsfire as well), then I would respectfully ask for a refund and I promise to delete your software off of my computer and you can delete my account..

Sincerely,
    Kevin"

Let's see what Mr. Nice Man says now

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Wow what a jerk. I'll never buy one of his programs...but do keep us updated. It's kind of entertaining. :)

18. Logik macrumors 6502a

*note to self* don't fork over the cash for NewsFire... and definitely commence operation "write new RSS reader" immediately.

i've emailed him numerous times asking for features and he never responded.. i felt they were good ideas and would've definitely made me happy... however since he seems to not give a rip to even respond saying "maybe" or "maybe not" then i seem to be in the mood to write a clone of NewsFire and add the features i wanted. when will you see this? no idea honestly, 18 credits in college, part time job, and well maintaining friends.. if anyone has any real requests for features in a NewsFire type application then feel free to private message me.. i will definitely consider your ideas and let you know when i make progress if you so choose to be informed of this type of development.. odds are if i did charge for this type of application, you'd be looking at $10-15 after i felt it was ready to be used in that type of fashion.. in other words.. it'd be free for awhile, and if i continued development and seen a lot of interest.. i may charge a small fee.. that is way off though but if you have ideas, requests, etc.. let me know and i will keep you in the loop.

i don't support developers who treat their customers like that.. so he wont' be getting my money. *deletes newsfire* all the more reason to write my own now.

19. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Ugh. I most definitely will, but I don't think he's going to respond. He already "warned" me once.
    -Kevin

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

PR with certain people is hit or miss, his is a BIG miss and he should see the power of a post(s). Good common curtsey goes along way(on both sides) and if he understood that he would be farther ahead in the long run. A note to him is look at some other apps. that are free and only ask for $$ if you are happy or some other type of donation to put towards updates ;)

21. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

just to spite this jerk, call it something like... NewsFlame :)
    -Kevin

22. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

And he's up to his courtesy again!

Me:
    If you could just address the issue below, I won't ever send you an
    email again...
    --

David,

I didn't consider my last email to be abuse. I happily paid for your
    software to support updates, and as such, after not seeing updates in
    months, I emailed you merely to find out what is going on with
    development? Is it done? Updates soon? Roadmap? Etc. You've all but
    brushed off my responses with snide comments when all I really am is a
    curious, paying customer. I'm hoping I can get a few words out of you
    regarding the program. I understand NewsFire is seeing a lot of
    progress, and I wish you best of luck with it. If it is taking up all
    of your time, and thus, Acquisition can't be worked on, that's all I
    need to hear. However, if this is the kind of respect you give to
    customers who pay for your software (i was very close to paying for
    newsfire as well), then I would respectfully ask for a refund and I
    promise to delete your software off of my computer and you can delete
    my account..

Sincerely,
    Kevin

Him:
    What issue?

Me:
    I said "issue below" and copied/pasted a previous e-mail. I was just
    wondering if you could give me a response to the following:
    (thanks for your time)
    [here i cut/paste my previous email]

Him:
    I would be working on Acquisition right this very SECOND, but some guy
    keeps pestering me and wasting my time.

Me:(this is the first ******-ish email from me)
    Thanks. Is it possible to get the refund i mentioned? Thanks for being
    friendly. While I doubt you have any sort of wife or children, if you
    do, I hope you treat them with more respect that you do treat me.

I really would like a refund. Please let me know if that is possible.
    Once that is settled, don't worry you'll never hear from me again.

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

And that's the story so far. I assume I shall receive no reply.
    -Kevin

23. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I find the best way to deal with effete geek ass' is to ignore them totally. I wouldn't have bothered sending all that garbage back to him, you're not gonna change his mind from being a total idiot...

Anyhoo, umm... what I don't get is WHY spend so much time developing a product for which there will be NO market in 4 months time... vs a product that there must be SOME demand for...

Seriously - unless I've been highly mislead, does NewsFireRSS do exactly what TigerRSS will do, but less well? I like using RSS to get my news feeds from this site, bbc, engadget etc. but to get to the core story you still have to go to an HTML site... which means safari!

Hob

24. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 68040

T'hain Esh Kelch

OMG - What a jerk! o_O

You should really check out xFactor! (xFactor.cc) -Its going open source in its next major release. :)

25. Logik macrumors 6502a

not necessarily. Some sites (like mine for example) provide the ENTIRE contents of the story in the RSS feed. No need to goto my website at all (no big deal it saves me bandwidth actually since i have no advertisements on it). Some sites DO only give a brief summary or the first paragraph, which is disappointing but oh well.

Safari's RSS reader is similar but is VERY limited, you can't save items, you can't organize them how you'd like, etc. There's a lot.

I have a few plans for mine, such as the ability to save items you would like, and then using Spotlight those saved items will be searchable within Spotlight. With the option to include all items currently held within the application (though the problem is they might be out of date if you haven't grabbed the most recent items from the feeds so, disabled by default). the ability to "tag" items like you would on "flickr" or "del.icio.us" and then sort by those tags into "smart groups" .. so you could filter items based on tag and saved items... and have groups that contain any info on "apple" or "ipod" or what have you, so if you're looking for all items related to apple or their products it wouldl be easy to find. rating of saved items is also a possibility.

I sent all these ideas to the NewsFire developer and he never responded.. if you see them in a new release.. i wouldn't doubt that he got those ideas from me.. i asked for saving ability similar to the Scrapbook feature found in Shrook and he seems to have finally added the ability to "keep an item indefinitely" by hitting "Command+L"

either way, once my tests are completed this week, i will try to throw together the XML parsing end of the app for atom and RSS .91, 1.0 and 2.0 next week.. then it's just a matter of throwing a simple app together to test it and finally start actually developing the interface ... if you have other ideas, feel free to let me know.. or "improvements" i'm more than happy to listen to them... just a reminder, if the app ever does get popular i will charge a fee of some kind but it will be less than newsfire.. so $15 tops.. probably $10 .. it's a simple application and shouldn't require $20 a pop from users to read information that is readily available within a website.. :-/ in their free browser.

EDIT: I am really looking for ideas about features for RSS feeds that are filled with the replies to a thread on a message board.. what features would you guys like? I know the forums here don't support them.. though i really wish they did.. but some new boards do support rss feeds for threads on message boards.. so i'm looking to add to this to make this more fun.. ideas are welcome here.