What is going on with the Towers!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Falleron, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

2. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Just like I said.

Nothing would be announced today. I would love to have eaten my words (heck, I woulda poured the ketchup, too). But somehow this does not surprise me. Like I keep telling people: rumors are usually BS and just set people up for disappointment. And Mac User needs a kick in their collective ass.

(For anyone wondering why I frequent rumor sites, I do so because OCCASIONALLY, they reveal something useful, like a news item. But rumors are usually based on peoples' fantasies and very little fact, although even they can occasionally be right.)

Oh... for people in other threads saying that a 733MHz G4 "blows away" a 2.2GHz P4 is truly wading in the Jobsian RDF. I mean no one any insults here, but let's be realistic here people. A 2.2GHz P4 is ROUGHLY equivalent to a 1.7GHz PIII (which, as you know, does not even exist). The thing is indeed fast, even if it is inefficient. The point here is that just because it needs tons and tons of cycles to compensate for imperfections in the way it makes its calculations, it has so many cycles that it more than makes up for those "mistakes". Yes, the high clock speed is a marketing scheme. But the thing is still very fast, faster than any processor in any current Mac, overall. And the Athlon... wow... that's probably the fastest CPU in any box today, as nearly every test I've read demonstrates this CPU to blow the pants off the P4. Now what does that say for Athlon/G4 comparisons? I shudder to think about it. (And the thing's really inexpensive, too.)

Sorry, but the Mac platform needs better hardware. It's as simple as that. I love the Mac. I love the operating environment. I love the neat, seamless integration of everything. But hardware-wise, we're being neglected.

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

soon

Apple will shipp a new Tower line up soon. They have too. The new iMac is just too close in horse power to the pro line. Maybe we will see DDR memory, ATA 166, 1ghz+, and dual CPU's. All I know is that they will shipp soon. Wont be a G5 but it will be fast. I still think that we are at least one to two generations away from the G5. Mybe just one more G4 then a really big speed boost with the G5's unvailing just for show if not for anything else.

4. Six macrumors regular

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

RE: Kethoticus

The hardware is far from being neglicted. Apple has the best hardware out there. True... there are some fast machines arround and maybe faster at some kinds of operations but if you know anything about CPU's and Simulation programing, then you would know that Apple's hardware is not what your saying it is.

6. moi37 macrumors newbie

Evildead learn to spell won't you

Whatever you write, whether interesting or not loses all credibility when the spelling mistakes you make indicate either a pre-pubescent teenager or an illiterate adult. And even in the case that you are one of the above passing your comments through some spellcheck programme may even allow you to pass without appearing completely idiotic. These forums are stuffed full of comments from individuals who just have to see their insignificant comments in print. Pity it makes wading through the junk tedious!

7. MisterX macrumors newbie

8. moi37 macrumors newbie

sure it was

It's so easy to post your comment that maybe people should reflect a little on the real value of what they have to say. One could spend hours reading things like, "I've green wallpaper which matches so wonderfully with my quicksilver, and especially the 40GB Hardrive turning at 7200", with grammatical and spelling mistakes to add to the misery, that in the end it becomes pointless in even taking a look.

9. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Evildead learn to spell won't you

haha... yes... any one that knows me or reads my posts here (i have been here for a while now) knows that my spelling is pretty bad. The only thing that is worse than my spelling is my typing. I make a lot of type-o'sI dont really spend the time to read over my posts. just for you I will not read over this one ether. If you cant understand me then just dont read my posts.

"indicate either a pre-pubescent teenager or an illiterate adult."

Well, Im a 22 year old computer science studdent that landed a job with a major Defence contractor. I started out as a JAVA programer and I am now a UNIX system admin on a diffrent project. I get travel alot for my job and they pay me well. I get my balls busted alot by my buddys about my spelling and how I will never survive in the corporate world. The only problem with that is they have thier B.A.'s and they still work at starbucks. My job is currently paying for me to finnish school. And if I wan.. grad school. The faster i finnish the more work I can do for them. I may not spell very well and i maybe to lazy to proof my posts but I am a pretty good programer and system admin. I have been called Illiterate in the eglish language before but never in JAVA, Bash, C, UNIX, ssh, VB, RB, LISP, Asemboly, and other topicks/languages.

Did my spelling really bother you that much?

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

11. MisterX macrumors newbie

12. TMay macrumors 68000

I watched his Jobness on Lou Dobb's moneyline the day of the keynote. Lou pestered Steve about the G5, of which Steve could, of course say nothing . Still, I'm pretty sure that Steve had a smurk on his face, so, either he's hiding something really cool, or he's developed a system that allows people to reach out of a video monitor and trottle their tormenters, and he was just waiting until he was off the air to do the deed.

13. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I'm pissed!

I dont know about you guys but I have had enough of the hype!! Thats two times that we have been built up for something + it does not happen. Apple has got a problem, combo imac not released until end of febuary + powermacs that are expensive and need updating!! Where does that leave me when I need to buy a new computer in the next week or so?? Dare I say it?? The dark side??

14. Digidesign macrumors 6502

:eek: Ok, here's my stupid analogy:

I need to go from california to maine for business, and am all ready for BMW to release their all new X5. They release their new 3-series, but I need the X5 to carry my cargo and to cover some bumpy ground. Meanwhile, three things:

1) Rumors of the new X5 keep popping up, getting me anxious, and then turning out to be a bucket of lies. Damn their lies! (shakes fist)

2) Crap car company X and Y are releasing super powerful and high-revving SUVs for dirt cheap, though the exterior is a vanagan "beige", the interior is cloud-colored vinyl and the dash only plays Madonna's "Speed of light" song. Oh yeah, and I need to refuel five times as much.

3) The longer I wait, the more I delay my business, and will have to catch up more ground when my new BMW finally arrives.

frustrating, to say the least :rolleyes: AAARGGH!!!

15. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

RE: Digidesign

I like your analogy. I often refer to Mac's as the BMW of the PC world.... but dont get too frustrated. It is the PC world. New stuff comes out all the time that makes your old stuff look like crap. And there are all ways rumors that there will be newer and better ones comming. Unfortunatly there computers are not like cars in that a really cool old car... is still a really cool car. Computers tend to get trashed or donated to schools.

16. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Spelling

evildead, Your spelling isn't that bad, but it isn't that good either. Your posts are better than most, but if you want to do something about the spelling problem you can always type your longer posts in a word processor application and then cut and paste in here after a spellcheck. When you spellcheck make a mental note of what you got wrong and your spelling will improve.
    General note to everyone else:
    School is not skewl.
    Duel is a gunfight, dual is two.

Ahhhh, I feel better now.

17. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

SPG

Yeah... maybe I should start spell checking my posts. Or at least reading over them once before I submit them. Most of the time I am posting from work so I don't have much time to waste proofing... then again I do have the time to post so maybe I should. I have spell checked some of my longer posts in the past.

Thanks for the constructive comments :)

18. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Rumors

Why are some of you so good at complaining that there's only 133 MHz of difference with the "new" G4's. With more speed comes the possibility for even more speed. All Apple will be doing is releasing this to show that their processers CAN INDEED hit the GHz mark, at least in PC terms. If they can get a GHz processer, than they can get a 2.0 GHz processer. Like I said- with a little speed comes a lot more. Please forgive my rant.

19. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re:StealthRider

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the community. May of the Mac heads here like to rant and complain. Some times it’s half the fun! Some one wines about something and then 3 other people tell them to stop crying. An all out flame war begins! Then someone with a level head tells it like it is and just about that time the thread gets old and we all realized that the G8 didn’t come out today like we were "promised"

20. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

FUN!!!

Sounds fun! When is the usual time for the most activity?

21. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

WHAT? NO HARDWARE???

Okay, i admit there is a lot to be desired in the availability and price of internal and SCSI hardware for the Mac OS, and I understand completely that OS X has some compatibility issues. BUt everything FireWire is available for Mac, and it's not like Macs have many expansion bays anyway.....

22. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: FUN!!!

I think it happens mostly in the morring (west cost time) or late morrning and after noon for east cost) There are posters here from all over the world so prbably anytime of the day some one well be one line looking for a fight.

23. reyesg4 macrumors newbie

Don't hold your breath

Apple is running behind according to our schedule but not theirs. It took two years to get the design of the new iMac done so expect to wait until later this year for the new G5 case. Considering how much power/value they put into the iMac, the towers will make the latest G4 tower look cheap. Or at least it better be good from the first revision if Apple wants to save face. The Mac communities expectations of performance might be more than Apple can deliver at this time. I just can't see them roll out the G4 without a new OS X to go with it. It needs more features and speed to justify the high price of the tower.

Anyway, they have until march or april to come up with the G5 or they will lose respect with the press and stock holders. I hope its worth the money, I'm just itching for an excuse to buy a new mac.