What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jethroted, May 31, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

jethroted

XP is the crapiest OS around. That is just me though. So I want to make it look like OS X. What are some good tools to do this?

2. macrumors 603

shadowfax

get the uX Theme util at the bottom of this page.

then search for an OS X windows XP theme.

here is one, though it may not set well with you.

this one looks badass, if you don't need the stripes.

check this one out if you want, i can't see well from the screenshot.

anyways, check deskmod out for cool themes, maybe more OS X ones, i only checked the first 50 mods.

i also made one myself based on another--a tweaking, you could say. if you are bothered by all the ones you find and want to try it out, give me a holler. i just have to get you to promise not to distribute it, if you want it, since it's mostly someone else's work.

3. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

I used to use StyleXP, which comes with a few mac themes - there's an OS9 one too, There are a load of OSX themes around that work with stylexp. Have a look on http://www.themexp.org/ for some themes. There's a few nice linux clones on there too.

edit: just realised Shadowfax linked to all the same places i did, sorry for duplicate info. How come i can't delete this post?

4. macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i did it fairly half assed and fairly easy... i did use style xp and put a brushed metal effect on... i put the actual jaguar wallpaper on but i added a pseudo dock type shadow that i just set my shortcuts on... i just did that with photoshop... i changed my icons to more mac like pics and its working for me... i also hacked the splash screen with a low res grey apple... i hate the computer but for playing games and using kazaa its ok...

5. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

that will cost you 20$ via paypal to become a demigod. it's one of the privileges you get for contributing. as it is, you can report your post to a mod (in the link on the lower right) and request that it be deleted by them.

6. macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

But becoming a mod is not easy...

On the subject of XP, yes, it is a design copy from X.
    But if they didn't do that, they wouldn't make any money, not that they need any more.

7. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

XP is not a design copy from X! (i assume you mean OS X and not X11) it's a design copy from fisher price! what are you talking about?

this guy is trying to get a theme changer to completely alter the look of XP. here is an image of my XP machine running the OS X theme i modded last summer.

8. macrumors 604

scem0

9. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

man, that dock is cool!!

Anyway - if you're using Mozilla's firebird then you can get a load of mac-skins for it here. If you're not using Firebird, THEN WHY AREN'T YOU!?

I'm using a safari one that looks great!

10. macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

Thank god I don't have to use it.
    I'm stuck with 98.

I can't even get the folding apps to work, but then again, I can't get them to work with the Mac either.

11. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

for all my issues with XP's design, i would take it over 98 for its stability and the fact that you can make it look just like 98, or, like in here, like OS X. i do value that. i don't see why you're thanking god you've got 98. it has so many visual engine inferiorities (like say, lack of transparency support) it's not even funny.

12. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I may have to put one of these on my mom's dell laptop. or maybe i can convince her to get an ibook or pb. :D

13. macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is good to make xp at least look like os x?

That is the truest statement I think I've ever seen.

Also, thanks to all of you. I've been wanting to change the look of XP from the three basic themes they provide.