What is GROWL, is it useful and how do you make use of it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nylon, Apr 16, 2006.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2004
    I keep on hearing about GROWL and there seem to be a lot of apps that support it. However, the GROWL website is not very clear on how to use the program or what exactly it is. I'm fairly new to OSX and need to catch up fast!
  2. dylan macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    You don't have to really use it. It's a background app that presents notifications for certain events. Events such as: a finished download, song change(presents info on song), new rss articles and many more.

That said I really haven't found it useful but lots of people seemingly do so check it out.
  3. TheFreshPrince macrumors member

Nov 21, 2005
    I find Growl useful to use with Skype. It notifies you when someone has come online or a file is finished transferring etc.
  4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I find growl to be useful with Adium. On my 12" iBook I can have a received message shown ontop of my browser. So I don't have to switch to Adium to see what someone said. I use it for iTunes as well, it's smoother than Synergy.
  5. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Growl basically throws notifications up on the screen. I use it for Mail (GrowlMail plugin) to notify me when new mail arrives, for Adium (when someone messages me for the first time, and for notifications for sign-ons from people I talk to a lot), and for iTunes (through Menuet, to inform me of track changes). There's more it can do, but that's about all I use it for.
  6. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    its also used for logging data, in my MultiAlarm on my ibook i have it set up to log all data so i could pin point times of someone touching it, as well as it displays the status of my cron jobs
  7. Malcster macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2005
    Bristol, UK
    Growl is ace, use it for adium and itunes (with GrowlTunes) personally i find the growl+gmail plugin essential. (Ties in with the google gmail notifier to let you know thru growl when you get email)

8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    The best part of this is that it also tells you who sent the mail, the subject, and a line or two. That can be useful if you're expecting something particular and don't want to stop what you're doing to check random mail or if people send you very short messages (Here in the office, we email people about calls that they missed, and if they are on another line they can see exactly who was calling to figure out if they need to get off their current call).
  9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Its worth getting I use it with adium, entourage, itunes, my irc client(can't remember the name not at that comp), sykpe, what else...I think thats all. There may be a couple more.
  10. sjshaw macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2004
  11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Yah I love Growl. It's pretty much transparent, but it lets me know about all of my Adium contacts and when a song changes in iTunes, it says the name / album art. I'm gonna have to get the gmail one!!!