What is Handbrake?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umdjb, Feb 19, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Basically what the title implies. I have heard good things about this APP, and havent been able to find a thorough description about it or what it does exactly (I couldnt understand what this means

"HandBrake is a GPL'd multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter. HandBrake was originally available on the BeOS, but now has been ported over to MacOS X and to GNU/Linux. A Windows port is being worked on. "

Taken from the handbrake website.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Basically, Handbrake is an application that rips DVD video from the disc to your hard drive, and can use a number of different types of compression.

3. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Basically - it takes DVD's that you own, rips and encodes the movie in a variety of formats and encoding algorithms, eg: XViD AVI/H.264/Mpeg4 etc.

It's very good at what it does, has features such a 2-pass encoding (better quality, longer encoding time)/de-interlacing/bypass region and copy protection so you can back up your DVD library onto an external HDD. Also saves power if playing from a file rather than your laptop spinning up the dvd drive.

Also has a cool feature to split the movie into two files, and encode at various bit rates or file sizes depending on your choices. Also really easy to use!

Hope that helped :D

4. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like an awesome application.

That was a big help!

5. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Is handbrake the best way to rip stuff off of my DVD's back into iMovie?.. NOT commercial DVD's- these are homemade DVD's.. I coach football and my friends and I videotape our games, burn them to DVD's and trade them with each other.. There are times I'd like to copy some of the stuff I get, but I'm not sure how, or what I need to do it..LOL.. I can make the movies from the mini DV tapes, but getting it off of DVD's seems out of my grasp..It's kind of embarrasing, but I've been trying to find an easy way to do this for awhile..LOL..

6. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Handbrake is great for ripping dvds to playback on your computer/ipod.

Although not the easiest way but free is a utility MacTheRipper, where you can rip the dvd to your hard drive then use your burning software to copy it to a dvd.

Or you could invest in like Toast 8 Titanium where it'll do all that stuff automatically. I don't think it can copy commercial DVD's though if you ever want to back up your exist DVD's ;p

7. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.. I have Roxio Popcorn, but have never used it- will that work?..

I'm not really interested in backing up any commercial DVD's, just my homemade ones.. Tell you the truth, I don't even watch many movies-LOL- every now and again I'll take one for the team and sit down with the wife to watch one- but not too often..

8. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

The Handbrake code is being continued in the MediaFork project. I would recommend that you start with MediaFork because this app already supports the latest iPods and is most likely to be updated with support for :apple:TV when that comes out.

9. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/popcorn/standard/overview.html

Check out the link, I think you'll find your answer there :]

10. amnesiak macrumors member

amnesiak

i just tried mediafork yesterday and its way better than handbrake. I ripped a 2hour movie in 48minutes. Using handbrake it took a little longer,maybe an hour or so. If u have an intel mac try mediafork.