What is it and how does it benefit me?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Dhelsdon, May 7, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Hey all,

I have popped into this section a number of times mostly out of curiosity.

What is Folding@Home, and how does it benefit me?

From what I understand, it uses mostly unattended computers to run the programs but I don't understand what the goal is?

I've personally got a i5 2011 mac mini 8GB ram that I leave on 24/7 for a mine craft server and I use it as a iTunes server. I'd have no problem becoming a part of the macrumors team if it's something I don't really need to maintain. If I can run it and help someone without ever having to really do anything then I'd be glad to help..

Please advise a total noob. :)

2. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Have you read all the FAQs in this forum, and followed the links?

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I have now :)

4. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Yes, you can set it to go and not have to worry about it. We would love to have you on the team. :) Download the client, get a passkey, and configure it with the -smp argument.

5. macrumors Core

alphaod

I think it's for a good cause until I saw the major increase in my power bill from month to month. I was also pouring too much money into buying high end CPUs, and GPUs just for PPD.

6. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Most of the power draw comestible from the GPUs. CPU folding doesn't increase the power bill as much as GPUs do. ;)

Naturally, I don't have to pay a power bill.:p

7. macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I did a lot of GPU folding. It's was really the only cost effect way to get good PPD. Building a quad CPU rig gets expensive especially hunting those Xeon and Opteron processors just to fold.

And my electricity is very expensive. I usually don't continuously turn on the heat in the winter nor the A/C in the summer because if I do I can easily quadruple my bill.

8. macrumors 68030

It doesn't directly benefit you at all - essentially distributed computing is the equivalent of donating your spare CPU / GPU time to charity, to work on "hard" computational problems.

If the result of those computational problems is a research break-through, the world benefits - at some point in the future, maybe.

9. macrumors 6502

or, look at it this way -- hopefully you'll be lucky enough healthwise to never benefit from it...

10. macrumors 603

SkyBell

As soon as I get an internet connection at home, I plan to do some folding. My eMac is on 24/7 as it is anyway, might as well put it to use. (Though I'm not sure a 7 year old single-core processor would help. :eek:)

11. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Hey, every little bit helps! While it won't put out many points, it still helps the research. I believe you'll have to download a special PPC client here.

Glad you'll be giving the team an extra 2 points per day.:p

12. macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I never could get it working on any of my old ppc macs. Now I'm just folding 24/7 on my windows machines though... its addicting. Sorry guys but I left the macrumors team and moved over to EVGA about a year ago. :eek:

13. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if we could deduct our electric bills from our taxes and use this charity excuse. :)

If that were the case, I would do this 24/7.