What is it with OS X and the system cache...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vohdoun, Dec 14, 2006.

1. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Hi, trying to find out why OS X does this with the system cache or boot up rather.
    Every now and then when updating the Wacom drivers or when I use to use the Logitech Control Center, upon installing either it always seems to reset the system cache and makes bootup time take forever like I just applied a 10.4.x update till after 3 - 4 reboots its back to normal.

It's kind of annoying when installing drivers and such on 10.4.8 once in a while, well it always happened no matter what version of 10.4.x.
    Appart from that everything else seems to run peachy.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I believe its the kext (kernel extension) caching mechanism. Basically once it works out which kexts to load it hashes them and checks this against the hash of it's pre-"compiled" optimised ones from last time. If they are different it has to redo the whole lot.

So it's your fault for altering the drivers (the kext file).

3. vohdoun thread starter macrumors 65816

vohdoun

How mine? its Wacom and Logitech's drivers that creates this problem. I only run the setup install, it does the rest :(

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

whenever, and i mean WHENever, i restart, my logitech mouse tracking speed goes thru the roof.

I always have to reset the tracking speed in system preferences.

however, I dont have to move the slider, only click it (like im affirming its current setting) and the mouse goes back to normal tracking speed.

I love and sort of hate logitech.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sorry, that was meant to be a little more light hearted than it turned out. You are choosing to install new/updated drivers. A consequence of this is longer boot times for next few boots. You either accept this and install the drivers or you don't.

It's not that serious a problem though is it? It's not like it hoses your entire machine...

6. vohdoun thread starter macrumors 65816

vohdoun

No not at all, just it puzzled me why it was happening till you explained it. ;)