What is my Powermac Worth?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by crazyfortech, Jan 1, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Dec 28, 2005

I was wondering what my powermac is worth. It is a

dual 500mhz
    512 mb RAM
    40gb harddrive
    dvd drive
    tiger with all cd's (box set)

I'm thinking of selling it on ebay, what is it worth. I also am including the whole box set tiger. Will that raise the value?

2. macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    1. dual 500mhz (even the iBooks have a faster processor now, and only a few apps make use of MP).

2. 512 mb RAM (all standard Macintoshes have a minimum of 512 RAM).

3. 40gb harddrive (all standard Macintoshes have a minimum of 30-40GB HDD).

4. dvd drive (all standard Macintoshes have a combo drive, DVD-ROM/CD-R/RW).

5. tiger with all cd's (box set) ( A small perk, however the same as all of the above).

The only benefit is the expandability of the PowerMac. To break the news its far too old of a system as we are moving into the x86 world. Don't count on getting much. :(
  3. macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    You'll probably get around $200 to $300 out of it. If a display is included, add around $100 depending on if its a CRT of LCD.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 28, 2005
    should i sell it

well i already invested a lot into paid 264.00 for it, I took my old pci and it works really fast. Shoudl I keep it? Maybe for 2 more years!
  5. macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

I would still keep it as I am sure it still performs the basic functions of a PC. Internet, Music, Video, Mail, unless its unbearably slow. ;)
  6. macrumors 65816

check ebay for prices of comparable machines. I'd say if you paid $264 for it, that was fair price, since I have seen single 500's going for ~$175 lately :)

But why did you buy it in the first place if you didnt want to keep it ?

Surely you realize that if you put another 512-1GB of ram in it, it will run MUCH faster, yes ?
  7. Guest

Its at that point right now where its not really worth selling because you won't make much money off of it and its better to keep as a backup.

Say if you were to have a 10 year old car with 150,000 miles on it, it runs prefectly but you would only get $3,000 and you paid 30,000 when it was new. Its better just to keep as a backup or to give to your kid.
  8. macrumors member

Sep 24, 2005
    I think I'll keep it. I'll have to wait for the mac mini intel rev 5 to come out. I hope I'm doing the right choice. I really wanted a mac, and now I have one. I was thinking if I do by the mac mini intel it is bound to something to happen to it. (REV 1)