What is "news"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This afternoon I read an article about an "analyst" who made the prediction that the next gen video game console, "Nintendo Revolution," will take the lead in marketshare by 2010. That's fine, because that's news, and nothing seemed wrong with it. After all, analysts make predictions all the time, this analyst is the only one who picked Nintendo to come out #1. That's why it's news, so it's fine.

The story said this guy was a "self-proclaimed" analyst and didn't go into any further detail. But they quoted him, and he seemed to explain his ideas well enough, so that's fine.

Next I see the same newsstory on mtv.com (I don't read MTV news, but I have a Google Homepage that gathers news from many different sources and puts them on my homepage, mmm'kay? ;) ), and they say this "analyst" was just some guy who browses internet forums. Browsing internet forums is a decent way of getting into peoples minds and getting a broad perspective, so that's ok.

Then MTV quote him further..........

Ok, this isn't news anymore, is it? This is just a 17 year old board member with the smarts of an 11 year old.

Then as a rebuttal, they quote a pro-Sony *cough*"analyst" as well:

Where's the news in any of this? Is everyone an expert nowadays? :confused: Any source can make someone sound like an expert, and another news source can reveal this same expert to be a friggin buffoon.

Look how easily we're fooled. All a writer has to do is to not include the entire interview or crazy quotables from this guy, and he'll sound completely normal. I mean, he had me fooled as an analyst after I read the 1st story.

Source

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

But it's on the Internet, so it must be true! :D

3. calculus Guest

calculus

I never believe anything unless I've read it with my own eyes.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

"News" suffers from the same problem as "facts" -- both are more subjective than we want to let on.

People now borrow authority more from information than science. Who needs truth when there are quantities of possible truths?

At least we won't have to live through structuralism again ...

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Damn, then I don't believe you exist...

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I seem to remember reading a great deal of calculus...I believe it exists. Didn't know it could type though.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

What qualifies as news today may be a little different than on most other days, as evidenced by Page 3 here on MR...

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The MTV article is by "Ike Kidd." That should tell you enough right there. Then check out some of the articles linked on that page...good stuff.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Me too! As it is very hard to use someone else's eyes! :D :D :D