what is omni outliner? What to use for Database?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bst, Jul 31, 2006.

1. bst macrumors newbie

OK, I don't have it yet, but the Macbook comes with 'omni outliner'

1) what is this software?

2) I will get iwork (no advice here, it is just what I want), but I want to do basic database, not pro grade....I am looking to do simple database collection (like addresses etc to share with cross-platforms--i can even make it a PDF so others can read). Nothing more complicated than that.
    Would google spreadsheet suffice?

I am switching (FINALLY) from windows 98SE on an going on 9 years PC, I had MS works, which basically is good for nothing. I am starting to get attachements from people -pc people- that are database or excel documents....I need to share address info with these people.

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

funny you mentioned this because i was going to start a similar thread. i am curious about it as well.

and you will be very pleased with iwork

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

1. Have a look here...I don't use it myself, but I've seen people do some pretty neat things with Omni's products.

2. Sounds like Google Spreadsheets will probably be enough for you. It can't output PDF directly, but you should be able to save it to HTML and then PDF that with your Mac. Or just export in XLS or CSV to let Excel-equipped people open them directly.

4. coastertux macrumors regular

OmniOutliner is a great program...if you need to make outlines. I acually upgraded to the pro version. It's great for taking notes, researching, etc. Basically all stuff great for a student!

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

OmniOutliner is pretty nice I use it to plan out the application I'm developing. I've got outlines for future features to be implemented, bug tracking, notes on implementation specifics etc. Another really cool Omni product that I actually just bought tonight is OmniGraffle (Pro). To be honest it's one of the most impressive pieces of Mac software I've seen. Full of powerful, unexpected features and very easy to use as well.

6. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i am gonna check it out see if it helps with my GPA lol

7. dav macrumors 6502

I use it with kinkless.com to manage my projects and act on them effectively.