What is really going on in Iraq.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by g5man, Jan 23, 2004.

1. g5man macrumors newbie

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2004/tr20040122-1185.html

Those running for President on the Democratic side need to become a little more informed.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Lots of bits and pieces of this sort come out, but little play is given in the media. No blood.

I've read that more people have electricity and running water now, than before the invasion...

'Rat

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

you can't say this is what is really going on in iraq, this is the military's version of events. If you want to get inforemd about the state of iraq the only way would be to go there and talk to the people.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

You're right, amnesiac1984. Go, forthwith, and report back! :)

The thing is, the blood and gore is of more interest to the media in general, compared to the mundane chores of restoration of water and electricity and jobs.

Not all positive reports are lies; not all gloom and doom reports are the whole picture...The converse is also true, of course.

'Rat

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

i guess my main point is that this article is from a direct military source and is not independent.

6. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm glad it was all worth it.

We invaded Iraq to punish the Iraqis for blowing up the twin towers (it was the Iraqis, wasn't it?); we took away all their WMD (at least the ones that the French didn't hide from us); and we were able to capture Osama bin Ladin in the process (we did get him, right?).

Seems worth the price of international isolation, over 500 dead, 3000 wounded, and the huge divide of the country that is clearly reflected on these threads.

Can't wait for the next war. Vote Bush!!

(By the way, before I get flamed, remember, I did not get personal. OK?)

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While I do agree that their are strong feelings on both sides of the War in Iraq issue in this country I don't think that citing the Macrumors Politics forum is a very accurate example of this division at all. The people who frequent this particular forum are Mac users/enthusiasts<sp?> that are willing/eager to voice their strong political views. I don't think that counts as an accurate cross section of Americans. ;)

Lethal

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Except me. I came here for the intelligent discussions on politics. Are MAC users more intelligent than the average person? From my experience, it sure seeems so.

signed: MAC user wanna be (although I do like my XP.)

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

neserk, I think you'll find any narrow-focus website will generally have some pretty bright people posting there. As the interest broadens, you can't help but pick up folks with lesser understanding of issues, regardless of political views.

Me? I could care less what brand of computer or software anybody uses. If folks are happy with what they have, they're doing just fine. I tend to have that attitude about others' clothes, diet, guns, cars and taste in movies, for that matter...

:), 'Rat

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The pollsters and the pundits are telling us we in this forum are a microcosm of voters at large. We may be more interested in discussing them then average, but the nation as a whole is sharply divided over these issues.

11. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

These are some very bold statements from you. Please give me some evidence of what pollster or pundit actually even took notice of this forum. Secondly please give me a good poll documenting that the nation as a whole is divided in regards to Iraq.

I actually listened to a pollster from the Cook Report I believe. He said something very interesting. He had a room of 10 people equally devided between liberals and conservatives There were split 50/50 in their views, yet the liberals appeared to have a more vocal and stronger position. In the end the liberals were only speaking so much louder one got the impression everyone in the room was almost in agreement.

In this forum we may have a close to equal representation but the forum comes across extreemly left wing. This is only because the conservatives do not post as much as the liberals.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Funny that you of all people should demand proof of an idea's popularity, oh ye of the unsupported "the American people believe what I believe and that's why I'm right end of story" rapport gras.

13. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

Try to be intellectually honest please. The statement I made also pointed out that public opinion was not the the factual basis behind my view. Just the fact that liberals are simply greatly out of touch with those they hope will vote for them, which in itself backs up my landslide view for Bush.

So are you going to offer proof for IJ?

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So, what you are saying, is that the Polictical Discussions & War Discussion forum on Macrumors.com has been verified to represent an accurate cross-section of America?

Neserk,
    Not to be a kill joy but intelligent discussions are few and far between here. 8 times outta 10 times threads will go up in flames quicker than CA in September. ;)

Lethal

15. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Is this a serious question?

I don't think he meant any pundits came to Macrumors, read this forum, then deamed it representative of the nation as a whole - just that the divided nature of the debates found here is indicative of the divided political climate of the country, as described by media pundits (rememer that Time magazine cover article with GW - the one that said "Love Him / Hate Him"?).

This may be the case politically - although I agree with g5man that the liberal posts do far outnumber the conservative posts, more so than liberals outnumber conservatives in the country at large (although many polls have demonstrated that Americans lean liberal on most issues - affirmative action, gay rights, gun control and health care - although they remain conservative on such issues as taxes and the death penalty).

Macrumors is one of the most disgustingly unrepresentative forums of idea exchange out there. Admit it - how many people here AREN'T geeky white dudes?

Davis

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's rich: you asking somone for honesty.

You deny that you've previously claimed majority public opinion "on your side?"

IIRC, that's been the crux of most of your arguments here.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, I said what you quoted back.

18. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

pseudobrit,

Please try to read what I said before responding. I did not deny saying it but not in the context you keep implying. Here is the statement in question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=673353#post673353

19. g5man thread starter macrumors newbie

Some how he believes this reply will suffice.

However, it appears he jumped the gun on this one and now he knows he has no way to take it back.

This is not really that important, but it does shed some light in how some people think.

Here is a perfect example among many why I spend time here. I learn each day or a few days why one would have the complete opposite view after looking at the same set of facts.

In this case it may appear the divided nature of this forum mirrors that of the general population. The lesson to be learned after Nov. is never, never underestimate the silent majority.

A good example is Iowa. Every poll had Dean leading. He appeared to be one with the true feelings of a large portion of the Democratic left. Even when he was behind in the tracking polls by 3 points one could safely assume it would be close. He ended up loosing to the moderate democratic vote who went for Kerry and Edwards by a score of 70 to 18. I think you get the picture.

20. wwworry macrumors regular

The Iowa caucuses are not run in the regular way primaries are. It's more about trading and bargaining. I wish people would just wait for us to vote before deciding who has won the general election.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

OK. Sorry I went off topic in my response to neserk. My only defense is that he appears new (to me) in posting to this forum. But why don't you guys take it to PMs or email when you get personal?

:), 'Rat

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What's w/the flippant reply? I was just asking for clarification of a seemingly bold statement. If you were being figurative just say so. If you were being literal just say so and provide a link if you can.

DavisBAnimal,
    The Q was serious because I didn't know of IJ was being literal or not. I assume he wasn't, but you know what happends when people start assuming things. ;) That's why I asked the Q for clarificaiton. The nation is divided, this forum is divided, but I don't think this forum is an accurate representation of the nation. IMO it's a relevant distiction to make.

Lethal

23. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

Im curious. Do people still think we are fighting baath soilders in Iraq?

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Everyone knows who we're fighting in Iraq.

Terrorists.

[and if I may add some Bush buzzwords:

Bad guys.

Thugs.

Killers.

Enemies of freedom!]