What is right?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iHungry, Jul 6, 2004.

1. iHungry macrumors newbie

iHungry

Hi, our son will be attending Philipps Academy, a boarding school. He say's that it would be great to have a computer in his dorm. Currently he owns an iBook G4 12 inch. Both my wife and I have PowerBook G4s, and the all around family use's the iMac G4 in the living room. My son is very well rounded with computers, he has the Adobe Creative Suite, Quark, Final Cut Pro, Office Pro, and once in a while he uses X11. He has a very extensive iTunes library, about 1200 songs. He loves Macs, so for his birthday next month we will definately surprise him with a new mac. What do you guys think is right for him? Take in count that he will be coming home on the weekends, so I think an iBook or PowerBook would be pretty descent for his travels accross state. Budget is not a problem with us at all, it's just that he has never really given a straight forward answer about which Mac he prefers. My wife and I where also considering maybe a G5 and a PowerBook or an iMac and an iBook. What tech specs do you believe would be necasarry for what he uses the Mac for (it will be customizable since we're going to purchase the products from the Apple Store Online) Thanks for any feedback in advance.

2. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

My Suggestion

My own suggestion, since his iBook is still a pretty good machine, would be to get your son one of those smoking dual-G5 desktops. It would be the best possible choice for his multimedia applications. Also consider giving his iBook a RAM upgrade while you're at it.

3. daxdagr8t macrumors member

my mom just boughtme a 12in pb yesterday and i thought i was lucky, i am lucky and grateful.anyhow if he's going to run some cpu xtensive apps then no doubt the powermac and pb is the only choice.a powermac for the dorm and 12inob for the road, does computing life gets any better than that?of course add a 30 in display and he will be in computing heaven! :D

4. raynegus macrumors regular

If you really love the kid, get him a maxed dual 2.5 and a maxed 17" PB for the road.

5. PeterD42 macrumors member

Birthday presents

Geez, my son was happy with a football.
    It does windows really well :)

6. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Well, my vote has to be for the 1.5GHz 15" PowerBook. As Mac portables go you're not gonna find a better mix of portability and cutting edge featurs - and with the beautiful 15" screen, its still a highly portable, much more so than the 17" model in my oppinion, but could easily be used his desktop replacment! Not to mention the way this PowerBook looks; it has much better preportions that the others if you ask me :D.

Lucky kid you have there,

Mark.

7. iHungry thread starter macrumors newbie

iHungry

Thank You for Your Advice

Hello, thank you for your advice, my sons Birthday will go great. My mother-in-law decided she wanted to buy him a PowerBook 17 inch with maxed-out specs (bless her soul) I decided to buy him the BMW Z4 Roadster. In addition I bought him a 40 GB iPod. My parents bought him a PowerMac G4 with maxed-out specs. (To tell you the truth I'm glad they didn't buy him the G5, he is spoiled enough as it is) He's going to have a pretty darn good sweet 16 if you ask me. Thank you all for your advice.

8. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you do realize all those gifts are quite likely to get your son beaten and robbed at school right? you may want to invest in martial arts classes, or with your cashflow, a personal bodyguard.

also, i'd ditch the G4 tower and get him a G5. he's so spoiled, the G4 tower might actually ruin his birthday.

10. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

And the G5 would have a longer life, as more applications come out supporting the 64 bit he would appreciate it, I know you don't want to spoil him anymore but getting the latest technology would mean it would last longer, just a thought.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Your son will be fine. Which Phillips is it...Exeter or Andover. I don't ask so I can rob him, but I live in NH and worked at Lawrence Academy in Groton MA a few years ago. (I will understand if you don't want to say as there will be probably hundreds of MacRumors members waiting at his doorstop this fall to catch a glimpse of his Mac loot! - me being one of them.) :D

good choices by the way. One might say the 17" would be too heavy for carrying around, but on campus he will love its size and expecially when he brings it home on weekends...hey...if you care to donate a G4 iBook to an extremely poor graduate student in school to become a school principal I am always available. :D

12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Forget the power mac and buy him a cluster of 100 xserves. :eek: :D

13. iHungry thread starter macrumors newbie

iHungry

Andover

Yes, he'll be attending Phillips Academy in Andover MA.Haha, I bet alot of people will be spying in his dorm...a new group of "Mac Espionage Spies" if you ask me. Oh, and for some of the people that think my family and I are completey loaded, your wrong...Both my wife and I have very good, well-paying jobs. My wife is a lawyer, and I am an orthodontist. Sorry to mislead some of you.

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

forget that...buy him Apple Computer Inc.

15. Bhennies macrumors 6502

nice thought, but no one in their right mind except us mac people would buy apple stock as an investment. Look at the g5 dissapointment, xserve delays, imac delay, ipod mini delay, monitor delays (I'm pulling my hair out for my 23" HD). Apple makes great products and their stock reflects that in the short term, but their business and marketing practices are not the best. The stock is rated "neutral", which as anyone knows is not a stock that that investors are clamoring over.

16. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Honestly, don't let him drive it for at least a couple months. It sounds like money is not an issue, so i would buy an older early 90's honda civic or something for him to learn on- the first two months are the most accident prone of all, and I'm sure you don't want him wrecking that Z4 (even though I'll bet it would look better- I hate the z4 styling).

17. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

18. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I'm seriously hoping that this thread is a joke... Can anyone say rich and spoiled?

19. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I'm up for adoption. I don't ask much, really, $5K a month for child support will be good enough.

20. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Did you even read what the guy wrote in his 1nd post?

Budget is not a problem with us at all

Which translates to us poor people as "I'm filthy rich. I'll buy anything my son wants. And please, I don't buy JPN cars. What do you think I am, poor?"

21. nyprospect macrumors 6502

These posts make me grip my bottle of vodka a bit tighter.Drops his head and weeps...

22. mikeyfern macrumors member

Any chance this is all a put-on? The new BMW part makes it too much to believe. It should also read "We are getting him a $1,000 prostitute as well. It is of the greatest importance that my son's 16th birthday be perfect! Two years ago he shot the butler when the pony we gave him was Roan colored and not Rabicano Roan like he had asked."

23. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

24. nyprospect macrumors 6502

well if he and his wife a professionals, i suppose it could be true.I think the poster is messing around about the butler and the prostitute or maybe not.By the way you may adopt me as well.

25. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

holy. crap. this. kid. has. it. all. ooh-ooh, i have an idea!!! Buy him a slip n slide! Every kid wants one of those... right?