what is rosetta and why don't so many medical programs work on the new macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjazzer, Dec 24, 2006.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    There a billion medical programs designed for OS9 and they all used to work on OSX macs with the old processors but none work on the new Intel processors. Why is this? Also, what is this rosetta software that is supposed to be built in. I did a spotlight for it and could not find it anywhere...?
  2. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    Well, i don't use any medical software, but....

I think you gave the answer yourself, if they used to work on os9, they might run on OS X while classic was running... and classic doens't run on mactels....
  3. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2006
    Yeah basically your medical apps worked on your ppc macs running OSX because they had classic mode. But OSX on intel machines doesn't have classic mode mainly due to the fact that not only would it need to run os9 but it would also need to emulate a ppc mac so that is two levels of emulation
    So they figured that anything that was going to be ported to osx has already and didn't bother with the effort (and huge performance loss) of putting a classic mode on the intel OSX.

As to your second question basically rosetta lets you run OSX apps written for ppc an intel macs. It will work automatically when you go to run a ppc program.
  4. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
  5. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Or, check and see if they've ported any of those apps over to Mac OS X which you may have already done.....