What is Santa Rosa? Available only on MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zukum, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Zukum macrumors member

Feb 15, 2007
    I have two questions:

1) What is Santa Rosa?

2) Is the Santa Rosa only going to be available on Macbook Pro, or also on Macbook?
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Santa Rosa is he fourth generation mobile chipset from Intel. It will bring a few new technologies that will boost performance in (mostly) laptop computers.

Yes, this will no doubt be used in the next generation MacBook Pro.

You can find more information on Wikipedia.
  3. InSaNeCyAnUr macrumors member

Feb 28, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Santa rosa will surely ship with the new Macbook, because Santa has a better GPU incorporated. Because the MB don't have a GPU dedicated to graphic (it's on the chip or motherboard, i don't really know) well it really needs something better.

Hope you don't get lost in my post...I even got lost myself when i reread:rolleyes:
  4. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    As someone mentioned, research this on either Wikipedia or google. Also, intel.com has more information.

Santa Rosa Platform increases the Merom (CPU) FSB to 800MHz vice the current 667MHz.

Also, Santa Rosa Adds a new chipset to truly support Dual Channel Memory, as well as a New Intergrated GPU (Intel X3000) which is significantly better than the current GMA950.

Finally, Santa Rosa incorporates Intel Robison Technology, which utilizes Flash Memory as a buffer between the system and the Hard Drives, allowing for Faster Reads/Writes, and Much Quicker Boot Times. Overall this technology will also reduce power, because it reduces the time the Hard Drive needs to work.
  5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    You know Zukum, on the internet where information roams free in abundance like the wind.
  6. Zukum thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2007
    Will Santa Rosa be available on the white and black Macbooks?
  7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    It will eventually be in all the portable machines and most likely in the Mac mini and iMac as well.
  8. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    i thought it will only be available in the Gray™ one
  9. johnee macrumors 6502a

I didn't know santa rosa used flash memory inline with the hard drive. that's a serious concern as flash memory has a limited read/write cycle lifetime. I found this on wikipedia....

This definitely needs more research on our part to see how intel is going to handle this. I don't want my mbp to be dead a couple of years after i buy it.
  10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    i imagine it would be socketed/slotted so it is replaceable in the future. people will get irate at Intel/Apple if their computers don't last more than 4-5 years.
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Being it is the next generation laptop chipset, it'll become the basis for all laptop-based machines rather quick in the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac.

The only machines that are questionable is the other laptop-based machine is the Mini, and that only is going to be when it is likely to be updated.

Since the mini doesn't have to be updated as quickly as the other machines, it likely will follow within 6 months at the outside when Apple does a chipset neckdown. Or when supply and price hit the Mini's sweetspot.