What is "Standard Overnite?"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. MacBook, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Im not a big internet shopper, but when my dad ordered his macbook and got free standard overnite shipping and it shipped on the 22nd via federal express

it still hasnt arrived on the 25th.

Doesen't overnite mean like... in 1-2 days?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I think you already answered your own question as in standard overnite means next day delivery. I will call fedex or get the tracking number and look it up..

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

depending on the time, it might not have gone out until friday, and it might not ship during weekends. i'd wait to see if anything happens tomorrow (can you track it?). if nothing, then i'd call.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Standard overnight means the delivery is guaranteed by sometime the next day (usually in the afternoon), instead of the next morning (express overnight delivery).

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

next business day ;)

If he's waiting at the front door right now for the fedex guy, he'll be waiting awhile

6. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

1-2 business days. Up to 1 day to be picked up and 1 day to ship. FedEx is good so I would say Monday by 5:30 or so since they missed the pickup window on Thursday.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, who knows? It may already be Monday where he's at!

BTW, overnight really does mean overnight (excluding weekends and holidays). I don't think FedEX has ever failed me yet!

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

a potential complication; "overnight" usually has a cut-off time for getting the package to the shipper so if it didn't leave Apple until late in the evening of the 22nd, then it would be part of the shipping consignments for the 23rd which is a Friday and that would mean "overnight" delivery on the next business day would be monday.

I've had good luck with FedEx too, but a late shipping time has caught up with me before

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Saturday delivery is extra - and like everyone said, it probably didn't ship until Friday, so monday it will be.

Did it ship via Apple? He should be able to get a tracking number on his account and see where it is...

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes of course the shipper needs to cooperate. Many of the retailers tell you the cutoff time for placing an order to be shipped the same day. Free overnight shipping is hardly anything to advertise if the retailer sits on the order for a day or two.

When overnight shipping first became standard I thought it was pretty entertaining to be able to order something late in the day on the West Coast from a retailer on the East Coast, and have it plop on my doorstep the following morning. I amused myself by thinking that it must have been shot out of a canon the moment I placed the order, and didn't touch the ground again until it got to my door. Maybe that's why the packages are always warm to the touch!