What is that thing on my desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nosser, Feb 17, 2006.

1. nosser macrumors regular

Hello, well I just bought a 17" intel iMac and I just noticed that I have that little light blue face thing on my desktop right next to the dashboard icon. I tried different wallpaper too. I dont know how long it's been there or what it means or does. Maybe its just suppose to be there, I don't know.Can anyone help me I have a screenshot too.

Attached Files:

2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Uh oh, thats the Finder and its meant to be in the dock. I have heard of this bug many times before.

Restart the machine and tell us if it goes back into the dock.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Weird, I've been using OS X for 3 years now and I've never seen it do that before! :eek:

4. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

Same here, interesting. I wonder what would cause that. If a restart does not put that blue face in your dock, you might want to call apple (1800-apl-care) and see what they say.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Try turning on magnification and auto-hiding in system preferences for the dock. Does the face act like a normal dock icon? Does it hide and magnify like all the others?

I've never seen this before.

6. nosser thread starter macrumors regular

ok well I restarted it and it seems to be fine now. I remember I installed alot of programs and it asked me to restart the mac but because I was downloading something else I didn't restart it and that was about 3 hours ago! Well thanks for your help

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

could that be the first mac virus? :eek:

no man. just kidding. you're safe. ;)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't heard of this happening since 10.3.3. It was more common in Jaguar apparently. At least it's not harmful. :cool:

9. white89gt macrumors regular

My new Intel iMac did the same thing this morning while my girl friend was messing with my computer. I thought something was bad wrong when I sat down this morning. The screen looked all weird, the screen saver had changed, and the finder icon was on the desktop instead of being in the dock. Turns out, she had made some changes to the desktop settings, but she didn't have any idea as to why the finder icon was on the desktop. A restart fixed everything though...........weird.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've seen Finder do that before in 10.3. I haven't seen it on 10.4 though. A reboot usually fixes it.