What is the advantage of having larger drives on the apple TV? DVR macmini substitute

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rotarypower101, Dec 7, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

What is the advantage of having a larger drive on the :apple:TV? DVR macmini substitute

I don’t see the advantages; it is a streaming hub correct?
    Anyone find the onboard storage useful for anything but trivial importance?
    Perhaps moving the device to a non networked environment, or on the off chance the network goes down…
    Any valid reasons to opt for the larger drive or replace with larger/add external?

Getting one for my mother possibly soon depending on the rumor mill and update information, specifically hoping for DVR capability update, though I don’t know how this would fit into apples marketing strategies at all, but it sure would be nice for the consumer! Throw us a bone apple, please.

Can the DVR functionality be accomplished by a macmini, keeping in mind it must be dead simple to moderately simple, for non tech savvy user, a lot to ask for but hopefully as simple as front row is to use, to simply push a button and have it record?

In this case waiting for a wireless “N” spec macmini update would be the tactic, correct?

Any info or thoughts?

Thanks for the time and insight into the topic.

2. macrumors 68020

pilotError

I use it for sync'd music, video and photos. I want to be able to let the kids watch their stuff without me having to boot the Mac.

I especially like it for parties where my iMac is in the open (in the kitchen) and I don't want people playing with it ,so I leave it off. This way I can put a few playlists on it and let the screen saver display photos.