What is the Apple equivalent to the ctrl-alt-del

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newmacuser13, Dec 30, 2006.

1. newmacuser13 macrumors member

What is the apple equivalent to the windows "three finger salute"?

2. Slvgx macrumors member

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple-Option-Escape will bring up a menu that lets you kill any application. If you end up in a rare situation where the computer is completely and utterly unresponsive, you can hold the power button down. You shouldn't really need any of the other uses of Ctrl-Alt-Del on a mac.

4. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Activity Monitor in Utilities is also the equivalent of CTRL + ALT + DEL since it lists the running processes just like the Task Manager in Windows. ;-)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To that point, you can generally also force quit an open app by clicking and holding on the dock icon for the app. If the system knows the app has tanked ("not responding"), Force Quit will automatically be in the menu. If the system doesn't think the app tanked, you can press option and the Quit option will change to Force Quit.

Occasionally, though, Cmd-Opt-Esc is useful merely because whatever app that is tanking is slowing the UI way down and you are not able to change app focuses or access the Dock. In that case C-O-E can usually still get you a list of open apps so you can kill something. :)

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

yeah comand option escape is the closest, well so is activity monitor but they are both needed very rarely.

7. lionleader1 macrumors newbie

control, alt delete equivalent for the Mac, OSX

I have started using logmein.com to access my PC at the office remotely and when the office computer is in the opening mode and I am instructed to hit the Ctrl+Alt+Del buttons to get to the user sign in page, I haven't found a series of keystrokes on the Mac that will execute the command remotely on my office computer to gain access.
    any thoughts oh wise ones?

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yup.

There's an icon on the control bar just for that purpose.

[​IMG]

It's the one that looks like 3 keyboard buttons

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

yes, but on the rare occasion that the app locks up in front of you, you still have to rely on Cmd-Option-Esc in order to get yourself out of the frozen screen... and then from there you can navigate to utility apps like Activity Monitor