What is the AuthenticationSe process?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by twir, Feb 15, 2004.

1. twir macrumors newbie

I just noticed today that whenever I run a Macromedia Studio application a process entitled "AuthenticationSe" is started.

This process quits shortly after I close the Macromedia application, and it doesn't seem to start when I open other applications.

Interestingly enough, the owner of the AuthenticationSe process is always root--admittedly I'm a little disturbed by this considering that it only seems to run whenever I run a Macromedia application.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

Twir

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well i'm completely guessing here, but it's likely an anti-piracy measure. It could be scanning your network, or connecting to a central server, checking serials. Only thing i can really think of, anyway.

paul

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: What is the AuthenticationSe process?

hey are you sure its not "Authentication Service" or something like that? It's probably some way of making sure some hacked version of a Macromedia app isnt running so your system wouldnt be compromised or something...doesnt show up for me though (with any of the macromedia studio mx 2004 apps)

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

sure enough, when i start dreamweaver, i get not only "authentication se" but "ats server", they disappear when i quit. it's got to be antipiracy.

paul

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

On Dreamweaver MX I don't get that. It could be on newer versions though--Macromedia are getting more vicious about anti-piracy. We can't even use the Freehand update because it got registered too many times (on the same computer, btw). BS.

6. twir thread starter macrumors newbie