what is the average opening time for a 12"PB 867Mhz running Jaguar?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by toughboy, Feb 2, 2004.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I have been using my PB for a few months, I wasnt really caring about the time difference between my 12"PB and my former PC.

But yesterday, I realised that 2-3% of my battery goes when it starts Jaguar, and a PCer friend of mine told me that there is a dramatic difference between his Centrino notebook running WinXP and my PowerbookG4..

I just want to know what is the average openning time for a 12"PB 867Mhz with 640Mb DDRRam running 10.2.8 Jaguar.. Just to feel Ok, you know..

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Just use "sleep"

The best thing about Mac OS X is that you shouldn't ever need to shut down your computer. I don't have a Mac with your specs (I have a Ti400), but the only time I ever restart my computer is for system software updates. Windows needs to be restarted every once in a while because the system gets bogged down, but Macs just keep on ticking. Even if I'm out and about, I just put the computer to sleep and open it up and use it--after several hours of sleeping, I notice very little battery drain, and my computer is ready to go in seconds whenever I need it.

3. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Re: Just use "sleep"

well I wished I would use my PB as much as you but sometimes it is 3-4 times a week..

is there anyone who have the same specs or at least 12"PB who can test it for me.. lets see the average startup time..

4. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

another question can be, if I install Panther, would startup time better off? is there anyone who installed Panther on a Jaguar machine and realized a decrease in startup time?

5. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I have a 1GHZ 12" takes 1 minute 3 seconds to get to the login screen and 35 seconds from login to the desktop being fully displayed.

This is with Panther and running off the battery. This also only abt 10 seconds longer than my Dual G5 to start.

It never takes me more then 2minutes to reboot or boot up from cold.

Also my PowerBook hold its charge for abt 8 days b4 it's dead (from 100%).

macboyX

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have the same notebook as you, and when I had Jaguar, it seemed like it took ages to boot up. It also seemed to take a long time to come out of sleep. I have since installed Panther, and the start-up is much faster. Plus Panther has alot of great new features. I would say upgrade. Good Luck.

7. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

thanks very much for the replies... Panther is 120€ in Turkey with tax and everything, so it is worth to follow a long decision making process, but it seems worth to upgrade in many ways..

I'll add my own startup time too tonight.. waiting for more startup times..

thanks in advance..

8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think I'm off to Turkey to buy Panther. Its £99 here so 120 euros sounds good.
    Thanks

ps Hows the weather in Izmir?

9. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

it is 99 Euros in here too, but we also have 18% VAT..

There are also people who sell it like "ONLY 119€!" is it more attractive when its price ends with 9? :)

by the way, the weather is wonderful for a week or so.. its just like a piece of summer.. I wish you all could be here..

10. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

it is 1min 39secs for the full system to startup for my 12"PB

by the way, it is more than 15secs for the LCD to light up for the first time when you open..

my Celeron 1ghz PC starts up in 52sec.. man, we should beat them in next OS release!!

11. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Part of the selling point of Windows XP is that it's the fastest booting version of Windows to date... Apple makes no attempts or claims about having a quick booting operating system. :)

My PC at home boots to the WinXP desktop in around 30 seconds, easy, possibly less. I think a good metaphor to these two OS's is a drag race between a Mustang and a Lotus. Sure, the Mustang will beat the crap out of the Lotus off the line, but once it gets going, or with a couple curves in the road, the Lotus is in a world of it's own. :p

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

with panther, you can use journaling. if the FS is journaled, there's less need for file system checks (fsck) which runs at startup.

in jaguar, particularly after improper shutdowns, one of the reasons it took so long to boot was because of fsck. my rev. A 12" PB took almost three minutes to load at times.

with panther/journaling, this is gone. i've never seen my PB take more than 1 min. to boot up, usually around 30 sec.

13. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I really didnt care at all when I used my PB connected to power outlet, but last night, when we had a 8 hour travel from Istanbul, we wanted to watch a divx (k-pax, it was really good, worth to share at kazaa, worth to recommend :)) and I was really concerned about the battery life when I saw that 3 percent of the battery was gone when starting up!!! but it had another 45min of battery time when the film was over!! I was really proud of that!

I'll use "sleep" as much as possible, and buy Panther as soon as possible, thats the bottom line I guess! :D

14. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Well consider that most Lithium Ion batteries are never charged to a full 100% to get more charge cycles in the battery's life... Same goes for most rechargable batteries. If I recall correctly, the Honda Insight (the little gas/electric hybrid car) never charges it's own batteries more than 75% of their capacity for just that reason.

So anything above 95% = full, in my eyes :)

15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Thanks Toughguy - you answered my question about KDV before I could ask it.

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Sorry Toughboy - its been a long day so I'm even getting your nickname wrong.