Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by melchior
the G3 Pismo.

the best design apple ever came out with. amazing. perfect. beautiful. i loved it. so much.

i don't like the TI/ALU PB design. i love the pismo. (damned heavy though)

Agreed. As much as I love the looks of the TiBooks, the iBooks (own one), and the AlumiBooks, the Pismo is just the best looking laptop ever. I really want to buy one and upgrade the processor on it just because I love those things.

For desktops I would have to say the Cube because of its design. I do hope an iCube or something comes and resurrects the idea because it would be perfect now.

I think the Cube would be perfect to make in a completely custom system. On the low-end they could sport the new IBM G3s with speeds over 1GHZ and you could use 970s on the high end.

DavidFDM

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Maine, USA
Modular:

I really liked the IIci. It was so easy to work on; one screw and everything came apart.

All-in-one:

SE/30 rocked. It was exceedingly snappy. Loved the little guy.

Laptop:

My experience is limited to the Mac Portable (Luggable), the PB 1400 and my iBook. I like my iBook the best. The 1400 was just to fragile but it served me well for a number of years.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by DavidFDM
the PB 1400 and my iBook. I like my iBook the best. The 1400 was just to fragile but it served me well for a number of years.

I love the 1400. Great little machine with room to grow if you needed it.

Also, the size is somewhat similar to the iBook, which is a size that I really like.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Re: What is the best Apple Computer of all time?

Originally posted by iBookman
What is the best Apple Computer of all time Design and Performance wise?

There is two :
The Apple I that started things rolling :D
And the new ones yet to come for performance.:p

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by ibookin'
I love the 1400. Great little machine with room to grow if you needed it.

Also, the size is somewhat similar to the iBook, which is a size that I really like.

I won't be happy until Apple has a sub-notebook!!!

figure it: 2004, 970 notebooks are in full swing. 980 desktops are set to be released and we are all hungering with anticiaption. even the ibook has moved up to 970. (maybe just a g4 :rolleyes: ) and low and behold the 1GHz gobi processor with a half-height screen (read: Toshiba Libretto) and a sweet keyboard weighing in at just 1.5lbs and 5 hours of battery.

that's what i need. that is the portable computer that will fulfill my needs.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
Gotta be the dualie 1ghz 2002 Quicksilver!

Beautiful design, not even close to obsolete, tried-and-true system architecture,
boots os 9, and fairly quiet (especially compared to MDD's)

These models rarely require service, as well

the CUBES are Awesome though! WAY ahead of their time

Parsa

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Prototypes

If you've ever seen the coffee table book on Apple, then you've seen all the totally cool "concept" prototypes they made. Some of those were beautiful machines. The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh was probably the only "concept" prototype-like Mac produced. It had a leather keyboard for gosh sakes. My co-worker just got one at a steal. I saw it; it was absolutely amazing.

Attachments

• tam.gif
    tam.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 465

techne

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
Pismo

Originally posted by melchior
the G3 Pismo.

the best design apple ever came out with. amazing. perfect. beautiful. i loved it. so much.

i don't like the TI/ALU PB design. i love the pismo. (damned heavy though)

First PB to feature Firewire and Airport.. Last G3 PB released.. Nice, organic, dark, sexy, elegant policarbonate case.. Solid built and light feel in your lap.. First PB to feature smooth DVD playing.. swappable bays to use cd-rw burners, zip drives and even an extra battery to reach almost 10 hours in the road. Apple abandoned swappable bays ideas when they released the Ti/G4 PB line. Only God knows how much I loved my Pismo.

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
These are all cool, no question. But for me it's clearly the FP iMac. It's just perfect!

My other contender would be the original Macintosh 128K. I remember the day in school that a friend brought in a brouchure for it. We must have stared at that machine for hours. One of the most radical design statements in the twentieth century.

elo

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
The poor man's Mac

Atari Mega ST4, 'The poor man's Mac'. Do miss my first computer, but I am glad I got a real one now, love them all.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by tazo
Regardless of what people say, I think the best mac is the one that you have, that you have made a part of your life, and an essential component of your computing lifestyle. Damn performance to hell, every mac is a work of art and does its job as such. When it comes to a mac and what it does for you, do a few periods and added s's do anything? Exactly.

I'd have to agree with this, to a decided extent. For this reason, I tend to lean toward the PowerBook 3400, myself.

However, I must admit, the Cube is an incredibly elegant computer. Just a beauty to behold. (I wouldn't mind seeing it reintroduced.)

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
Cube!

Being the proud owner of a cube, I'd have to agree. Way ahead of it's time. I'm glad it wasnt widely accepted because now I have a collector's item! :D

Still torn between an upgrade card and 20" display or letting it retire gracefully to my collection and getting a 970...

iznAdiznam

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
Agreed. As much as I love the looks of the TiBooks, the iBooks (own one), and the AlumiBooks, the Pismo is just the best looking laptop ever. I really want to buy one and upgrade the processor on it just because I love those things.

Speaking of upgrading a Pismo, I did just that. Powerlogix just came out with a G3 900MHz upgrade. I was originally going to get the Pismo G4 500MHz upgrade, but this G3 900 was so much faster, I had to go this route. They posted benchmarks on their website, and the G3 900 beat their G4 500 upgrade in everything, so, the choice was easy. I went from a Pismo 400MHz to a Pismo 900MHZ. It is incredible. I love this machine. OS X is actually snappy now. Everything is fast!!! I love it. Using XBench, I compared my benchmarks to that of other Pismos, and mine almost doubles the other benchmarks now. Incredible. A bit hot though, but that is expected. The greatest thing, is that using a utility, I can change the processor speed, to preserve battery life. And no, I'm not an employee for Powerlogix, just a very happy customer. ;)

Anyways, I think the Cube is a work of art too. Isn't it in the Smithsonian, or somewhere because of its design ingenuity?

I really love the design of the current towers (although the inside seems to be poorly designed). From an aesthetics standpoint, I love the FW800 towers, just not too crazy about the mirrored drive doors.

For all-in-one, I would have to go with the iMac, they revolutionized the computer design.

My $0.02,
Adam

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by adamschneids

For all-in-one, I would have to go with the iMac, they revolutionized the computer design.
Which iMac? The G3 or the Flat-Panel? They both revolutionized computer design.:D

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I say the original iMac-the computer that saved Apple computer. I think that it is just as unique and revolutionary as the cube was.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
First of all I'd like to say that the fact that so many different computers are mentioned in this thread speaks volumes about Apple and their continuing efforts to bring style and class to the computing world.

That said, for me the TiBooks are just the end all of laptop design. It can't and won't get any better than that. Everything about them is just so perfect.

iznAdiznam

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
Which iMac? The G3 or the Flat-Panel? They both revolutionized computer design.:D
Hmmm, you're right, I meant the original G3 iMac, but now that I think of it, I'd say both. Although, the first iMac was just that, the first iMac. It had no predecessor, nothing with which to live up to, so, in that respect, I will say the original iMac.

-Adam

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by adamschneids
Hmmm, you're right, I meant the original G3 iMac, but now that I think of it, I'd say both. Although, the first iMac was just that, the first iMac. It had no predecessor, nothing with which to live up to, so, in that respect, I will say the original iMac.

-Adam

The iMac was not the first, there were the performas before it (the all in one 5000 series) and then the real original iMac that came out a few months before the iMac we know and was only sold to education people. But my vote would have to go to the iMac we all know.

iznAdiznam

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by hvfsl
The iMac was not the first, there were the performas before it (the all in one 5000 series) and then the real original iMac that came out a few months before the iMac we know and was only sold to education people. But my vote would have to go to the iMac we all know.
Well, in my opinion, the first iMac was the first iMac, a performa was not an iMac, and vice-versa. The G3 all-in-one education mac was not branded an iMac, it was an all-in-one PowerMac. I believe the iMac was incredible in terms of its design factor, its aesthetics.

If you go with your line of thinking one could say the Apple Macintosh 128K was the first all-in-one. But, there are only two iMacs, the CRT and the Flat Panel. The Performas and PowerMacs were just that, Performas and PowerMacs, maybe similar hardware inside, but different form factors, and different names.

I guess it could be argued that its all semantics.

:)

Take care of your shoes,
Adam

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
my opinion

best laptop-pismo
best all in one-origional iMac
best powermac-quicksilver 2002

best ever-CUBE

how genius was the catch phrase
G43

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.