What is the best CAD application for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ph4lynx, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Ph4lynx macrumors member

Apr 29, 2004
    University Place
    I'm looking at getting some CAD software for mainly industrial design and I would like to use my mac. If anyone has any recomendations they would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks Alot.
  2. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2002
    An awesome place
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    The links above provide all the info you need, but I'll give a relatively uninformed nod to VectorWorks. We've been using it for 2D and rudamentary 3D CAD work at my lab for almost a decade now (since way back when it was called MiniCad in version 4 or 5; it's at 11.5 now), and although it's not a perfect piece of software and it's not as powerful as something like SolidWorks, it's a decent package and easy enough to use.

Versions 8 and 9 were, in my experience, a little shaky and seemed to have an undue number of bugs as a result of the move to OSX, but version 11.5 so far has performed pretty well on both our 10.3 and Win 2K/XP machines, and I'm willing to recommend it.

Depending on what your situation is, it's worth noting that educational licenses for v11 require a stupid USB dongle that, while not hideous, is something I really frown on. The full pro license apparently doesn't need the dongle, or so I've heard, but this is still a big step back from previous versions, which haven't used a dongle since at least v6, maybe earlier.