What is The Best Computer to Run Final Cut Express??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michael-appleru, Jul 26, 2006.

?

What is The Best Computer to Run Final Cut Express??

1. Intel iMac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Intel Mac Mini

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MacBook

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. MacBook Pro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. michael-appleru macrumors regular

I was Wondering what is the best destop computer to run Final Cut Express?? Whould I need to add on RAM or anything like that??

Thanks,
    Mac Lover

I am currenly using a Mac OS X Ver. 10.4.7 with a 1GHz PowerPC G4 Processor amd Memory of 640 MB. The Hard Drive on this Computer is Full. I am willing to spend up to $2000 Less is better!!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A quad G5. ;)

On a serious note, how much money are you willing to spend? That will help people work out what machine you need. You will almost certainly need a RAM update, probably to around 2GB but I haven't done any video editing myself so I'm not sure, it's generally cheaper to not get it from Apple.

3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

FCE will run fine on any mac these days, it just depends what you want to do. If you're just editing home movies, a mac mini or iMac will suffice (you'll want at least 1 gig of ram). For professional editing, a Macbook or iMac with 2 gigs of ram should work ok, but a powermac g5 or macbook pro would be better.

4. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

I am currenly using a Mac OS X Ver. 10.4.7 with a 1GHz PowerPC G4 Processor amd Memory of 640 MB. The Hard Drive on this Computer is Full. So could I use an exernal Hard Drive?? I would want the cheapest way to use Final Cut Express(exernal Hard Drive OR Buy a new computer) but I would not want it to be slow (I am willing to spend $1000 but less is better). I would use Final Cut Express for movies that me and my friends make (we are kids (13 years old) but we like our editing to be complex). I hate slow editing so I would want a cheap, solution that will make our editing fast!

Thanks

5. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

You must install FCE files on your internal hardrive, put you can capture your clips and edit them from an external drive. You should really upgrade to at least 1 gig of ram though.

If you're willing to spend $1000 and want fast editing, you should opt for a cord duo mac mini (i'm assuming you already have a monitor).

6. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

i have no Monitor but could I use my old G4 eMac or an older G4 and G3 iMac for the display with out networking???

the mac mini has 512MB of RAM can I add more??

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Unfortunately you can't use an iMac or eMac as an external display for another machine, so you'd need another monitor. Good CRTs are cheap though, and well within the budget you mentioned. You can upgrade the RAM in a Mini w/o problem.

8. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

Where would be the best place to get a mac mini with 1GB of RAM Pre-installed??

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

www.store.apple.com

Barring that, where do you live?
    If in the US, just go to your nearest Apple store.
    I suppose you could check out Amazon as well, but I'd say buy direct from Apple.

10. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

so the apple store would be the cheapest ???
    Ive heard you shouldnt buy from the apple store because you get better deals elsewhere

I live in SE Minnesota

11. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Unless you are really skilled with your hands, I would not replace the RAM in the Mac Mini myself. Getting the case open can already be quite a headache. Your best bet is to buy a Mac Mini from the Apple online store with 1 Gig preinstalled.

12. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

So I would get the cheapest mac mini at the apple store?? Or would their be cheaper ones elsewhere??

If I want a Microphone would the mac mini still be my best bet??? (and just buy a microphone to add on to it??)

13. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

From my experiences, the prices are the same everywhere. But if you buy from the Apple online store you can get it with 1 gig preinstalled instead of doing it yourself and possibly damaging the computer.

What microphone do you plan on using?

14. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

I Dont really know. i would be using it to add my voice to movies

15. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

if you wanna add voiceovers u need a high quality mic that connects via USB browse around the apple online store and you'll find a few.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The logitech ones aren't bad. I have one the sound quality is pretty good...

17. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

Would An iMac be a good computer to run Final Cut Express??

18. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Yes, the G5 or core duo iMacs will run FCE fine. 1 Gig of ram would be good though.

19. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

Ive read that mac mini and macBooks are bad for graphics, so thats why i think the imac would be the best.

Which one do you think would be better the iMac, Mac Mini, or MacBook???

20. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

The GPU has ABSOLUTELY NO impact on performance when it comes to video editing.

21. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

Gpu????

which imac would be better the 17'', 1.83 Ghz or 20'' 2GHz??
    IF i got a macbook which one should i get??

22. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

GPU is graphical proccessing unit, basically the graphics chip. the 2.0ghz is obvsiously better, but the slower 1.83 ghz will be just fine for home videos. Also the Mac Mini core duo and Macbook will offer similar performance. The choice you make will probably be based solely on price.

23. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

Final Question (I Think)

Would this computer be too much or too little or just right??

17 inch: 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo

Specifications

* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    * 160GB Serial ATA drive
    * ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    * Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
    * Accessory kit
    * 17-inch widescreen LCD
    * 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
    * AirPort Extreme
    * Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

24. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Sounds pretty much prefect for video editing - the more ram, the merrier when it comes to video editing. If you need to save money, though, you might want to consider purchasing ram separately (say ordering a 1 GB stick seperately) and just ordering 1GB through Apple. Oh, and you might want to upgrade the hard drive if you plan on doing a lot of HIGH DEF video editing, because video files add up FAST!

25. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular