What is the best degree choice for an experience information technology professional?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by manny_o, Aug 31, 2004.

1. manny_o macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2004
    My question for those experience Information Technology (IT) and Business professionals is “What is the best degree choice for an experience information technology professional pursuing a college degree?

I am an experienced IT Manager with over 4 years of experience in the field including 2 years of management experience. I have several certifications such as Microsoft MCSA & Citrix CCA and a 2 year certification from Columbia University but never actually completed college. I decided to go back to college, but I am undecided on whether I should go after a business degree or computer science degree. With my technical knowledge an IT related degree should be easier to obtain, but some have said not worth it at this point. However, a business degree is a whole other field, but some have said it would give me a more diverse background.

My future plans include moving up the ladder in IT Management.

Any opinions?
  2. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    A few questions:

1. Why do you need a degree? You seem to be working, are you finding it difficult to move up the ladder? Is it difficult to get in the door of some organizations if you don't have the degree?

2. What do you want to be when you grow up? If you want to manage people and/or large scale IT projects then the business degree may be of more benefit. If you want to stay technical then an MIS degree will look better but it probably won't actually help you that much in your day to day activities.

I have an MIS degree. For the first 5 years of your career the degree is important. After that it just doesn't matter, work experience matters more. Having a good school on your resume may open some doors though.

The best combination for IT management is a systems degree (MIS or Computer Science), over 7 years work experince and then an MBA.

Just becareful what you wish for. I did project management for a while and I hated it and couldn't wait to get back into coding and building things. I don't know many people who are happy in mgmt roles.

Good luck.
  3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You ask what degree to get, but you don't state your future objectives. Have a plan! Thats the biggest mistake a lot of people make when choosing degrees.

What do you want to do 10 years from now? or 5? or 20? Do you want to stay in IT? If you really don't know, talk to a career counselor at a respected college or university.

Your degree doesn't mean as much as it used to "back in the day." If you want to understand the bigger picture go MIS...If you want to code, go CS or CIS. If you want to move up the management ladder, go MIS and then MBA. If you want to teach, go Education. If you want to drive trucks, go to truck driving school.

Too bad most employers don't reward CE classes. Although mine would pay for it :D