What is the Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sjpetry, Jan 28, 2005.

1. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I have a Mac running 10.3.7 and I want to start playing around with Linux. I know their are many different types of Linux but what one is the best (and well rounded) for the beginner Linux user (I am very proficient with Macs and PCs and a fast learner). I could run it on Virtual PC 7 but would prefer not to. Any thoughts would be great. :)

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You are going to get 100 different answers from 100 different people. :D

For x86 architecture I really like Fedora Core (the free, cutting-edge version of Red Hat Linux). If you're going to run it in VPC, you're going to want the x86 varieties. But it's going to be rather slow running in there.

I would suggest that, instead, you investigate some of the "Live CD" Linuxes that run natively on PPC architecture. This will let you play around with Linux without touching your OS X setup, yet will be much faster than anything running in VPC. I'm pretty sure Gentoo and Ubuntu have Live CDs for PPC, and I think Mandrake may as well. But you'll hear much more on that subject (and many tangents) as people respond to the thread, I'm sure!

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

all you need is in your OS X -- the OS is based around UNIX --- so anything you want to do with linux (for the most part with the exception of several commands) you can do with OS X

4. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Ok so what are the "best" for OS X.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So say more about what you want to do? If you want to explore GNU X apps or Unix command line, then I agree with the "stick with OS X" since you can get a lot of the free X apps through Fink and you already have the command line. If you want to learn Linux for the joy of learning Linux...

I would recommend getting the Knoppix live CD, which I believe is based off Debian. It runs very easily and smoothly without a lot of configuration. Once you learn more, you'll have some Debian background. :)

6. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

That's what I want to do. :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Back when I played around with Linux, I tried Knoppix, SuSE (my favorite - expecially with the Ximian desktop - but it seems Novell killed Ximian and integrated it into their SuSE Linux Desktop) and Gentoo (it truly forces you to learn the inner workings of Lunux. Not recommended unless you really want to know Linux intimately).

In the end, I decided I don't like Linux, I don't like the "cheap, guickly thrown together" feel of Linux, and the hassles it forces you to go through to get anything to work. It's even worse than Windows :eek: Still the journey was worth it - it's a large part of the computer world, and worth experience at least once.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you want to get up and running quickly then a Live CD is probably best. If you want to learn more than you will ever really need to know about how Linux works the install Gentoo (on a spare disk, you will probably want to boot back to OSX) from Stage 1. This way you will get to see every little thing that is going into the OS and compile your own customised kernel with the bits you want.

10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

For x86 and beginners I think Red Hat would be best. For a live disk I think Knoppix. (my personal favorite is Damn Small Linux)

For PPC try Yellow Dog. (based off Red Hat if I remember right)

12. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I too have been dipping my toe into the world of linux (But now im dipping my toe into the Mac OS world)... A couple that I have found quite good for linux newbies:

1) Mandrake linux
    2) SUSE linux
    3) Xandros - probably the easiest for newbies/Windows switchers
    4) Yopper - havent tried this one yet but it is apparently the fastest linux out there. (One complaint about linux is that it is a bit slow - slower than XP dont know about MAC OS).

http://distrowatch.com/ is a great place where u can read up on all the distros floating around out there. On the home page they have a list on the right hand side of the screen showing the most popular distros.
    Here's an article on the top 10 distributions that I found helpful http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Live CDs are a good way to go but its easy enough to create another partition on your hard drive and it can run side by side with your other operating system. (When u install Xandros it does this for you!!!)

Have fun
    inlimbo...

13. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Out of curiosity, what is the right way to pronounce "Linux"?

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

For linux on mac check out www.penguinppc.org or www.ppcnerds.org

They have a list of almost all linux distros for mac.
    You have YellowDog, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Fedore, Crux, SUSE etc...

15. blodwyn macrumors 65816

For Linux on a PC, then Xandros is the most newcomer-friendly (but it's not free). The file manager automatically displays windows shares, and it has integrated CD and DVD burning.

For messing with, the Mepis is great

16. auxplage macrumors 6502

I have had this discussion with people who use Linux and there is much debate. Here is my conclusion conclusion (I apologize for my "ghetto" phonectics (considering I do not know phonetic symbols)): say "in" put an "L" in front of it and then say "uks".

17. kerb macrumors regular

always liked Mandrake best.
    the correct pronunciations is Lin-Ux as opposed to Line-Ux

18. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

19. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

20. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I pronounce it as "Links".

Can anyone help me to make it run on OS X.

21. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You need to download the version compilerd for PPC, not a x86/i386/i586/i686.
    You must boot from the knoppix cd, not start it from OSX.

22. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

23. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm downloading the x86 version right now (going to try it at work).

I want to try it on my Mac too, but I couldn't find a pre-compiled PPC version on the site. Has anyone else found it?

24. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Of Knoppix?

25. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I tried running linspire in VPC7, and it ran worse than XP... then when I went to load a program, then screen just turned black and didnt do anything for 2 hours.... then I deleted it.

so knoppix is PPC Native?