What is the best mouse out there?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacFan26, Apr 9, 2005.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Okay okay, I know there are a few mouse threads, but I'd like to know what you think is the best mouse. I want to get a new one, and I've been looking for a week now and still can't decide what to get. I'm looking for a wireless mouse that preferably isn't bluetooth, and has two buttons with a scroll wheel/button. So, any input?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I second that. I'll be picking one up to replace my aging MX700.

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I go for the third on that. I love my MX1000.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

sorry to be the dissenting opinion, but i had an mx510 (same mouse basically although without the cordless laserness) but recently switched back to my stock apple mouse and noticed how nice it was, so now i use that. it seems like i get more work done since i always have 1 hand on the keyboard now so i can do keyboard shortcuts faster/more often.
    edit: still dig out my logitech for games cause the 8 buttons are nice there.

6. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Logitech Trackman Marble+ all the way!!

Asking what's the best mouse is a bit like asking what's the best car. Depends on your needs, your budget and your general feeling at the time.

But for me the absolute best mouse ever, which is sadly no longer made, is the Logitech Trackman Marble+. Also unfortunately they don't seem to have ever made a USB version, so I'm forced to use a PS/2-to-USB adapter to connect it to my Mac. The Trackman Marble+ just fits my hand perfectly. I've grown fond of not having to use up valuable desk space to move my mouse around -- I can no longer stand to use an ordinary (non trackball) mouse. They just need way too much room to operate.

7. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I'd heard a lot about the MX1000, mostly that it's not worth it to have a laser mouse, lol. Question on that, were you able to make all the buttons work w/OS X? like the internet forward/back, or were you using USB overdrive? I didn't know if they would work by default, or I could program to do something like exposé...

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The MX1000 has OS X drivers included from Logitech. You can remap any of the buttons.

9. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Sweet, looks like you guys solidified my decision on the MX1000, lol, thanks.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Funny that you should say that - I have a mx510 and absolutely love it. Why exactly did you not like this mouse? I highly recommend Logitech mouses, but especially the mx510 (corded) and the mx1000 (wireless and most importantly, laser) :cool:

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's not that i didnt like it, i just decided wtf, why not try the apple mouse ive never used since taking it out of the box, and i liked it. i dont even miss the scroll wheel :eek:

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's cool. I personally have no complaints with the Apple mouse myself, I just really like the Logitech. I don't blame you at all for liking the Apple mouse though, I find it really hard not to as well. :cool:

13. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yeah you're right, ultimately it winds down to personal preference anyway. Kind of a dumb question on my part, lol :rolleyes:

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

While I would like to be able to drop 80$ on a mouse, I just got a new Logitech Optical Wireless Mouse for laptops (40$) and it gets the job done just fine on my PB...:)

15. kg9ov macrumors member

Even without loading any extra software/drivers, the three buttons on the side map nicely to exposé and the scroll wheel works. That was enough for me...

Mark up another vote for the MX1000.

-Tony

16. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Is the MX1000 bluetooth or does it require a dongle. Oh wait, it has a cradle, so you don't have to answer that.

No cradle mouse for me ... next option, please ... preferable a white and silver design with bluetooth :cool:

17. nekkets macrumors newbie

i use an apple mouse too. no complains from me

18. kg9ov macrumors member

Here ya go, The Mouse BT. I can't speak for it personally, other than I thought about ordering one, but it meets the criteria.

-Tony

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Looks nice ... thanks.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would have gone with the MX1000 as well, but I honestly don't mind having a corded mouse, and have no need for a cordless mouse anyway - my mouse is always on my desk at my computer. As a result, the MX510 is my weapon of choice. :cool:

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Trust me... Save your money, don't buy that piece of crap. It's a repackaged $10 mouse, no ****ting you. Stay away.

If you MUST have Bluetooth, the Apple mouse is the best option. But to be honest with you, Bluetooth mice kind of suck. You're better off getting a wired or RF-wireless mice.

With that said... The MX1000 owns j00!!!1

22. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i probably never get a MX1000 unless they come out with a bluetooth model.

23. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

24. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I really don't think that is a $10 mouse. There are no $10 bluetooth mice that I know of.

I have the Apple bluetooth mouse and I think it's great. I don't want a wireless mouse unless it's bluetooth. Proprietary wireless solutions have very variable (usually short) range, can cause interference with other wireless gear and requires dongles or cradles. None of which I find acceptable.

I also have a Kensington bluetooth mouse, but than one sucks, so I use the Apple bluetooth mouse instead.

Have anyone tried The Mouse BT?

25. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Has anyone here ever tried the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse on a Mac? It sort of works, apart from the custom buttons but I am sure that can be fixed. The problem is that it keeps disconnecting for no apparent reason and it is getting worse and worse. It comes with a bluetooth connector but I dont bother using that and I connect straight to my mac. It is not officially supported by Microsoft for Mac OSX.

Ah well if I cant get it working eBay here we come....