What is the best order to watch Star Wars Eps I-VI?

Discussion in 'Community' started by atszyman, May 19, 2005.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Sometimes the best storytelling is not linear. Would Pulp Fiction or Memento have been as good if they had just progressed in straight chronological order? Thinking about this led me to the question, what is the proper order to watch the 6 Star Wars movies? is it release order IV-VI then I-III? or straight I-VI?

Should you go through the original and get all of the shockers (family ties) there first and then go and find out how the universe's number one bad guy came to be? or should you just follow it as a straight narrative?

I realize that there is no correct answer and a lot of people will probably recommend just watching IV-VI and throw out I-III or some variation of that, i.e. just watch III-VI.

It seems to me that the best order would be release order (especially for someone who has never seen the films). Once everything is known chronological may be fine but for introducing someone (my children) to the movies release order seems like the best method.

I have not yet seen ROTS but will tomorrow night (would have gone last night were it not for work, grad school, and six month old daughter).

Note for those who don't care:
    I realize that there have been a slew of Star Wars threads recently with the release of the final chapter. I have not seen this question addressed yet. Those of you who have voiced the fact that you don't care about ROTS or Star Wars in general should feel free to completely ignore this thread since I highly doubt you will change anyone's opinions of the movies by posting here.

Note to Moderators:
    I have been watching and have not found a thread where this would be appropriate discussion, however I may have missed one or two so please feel free to move this thread if if would fit better elsewhere.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'd be easier to follow the story line/family ties if you go sequentially starting at Episode 1 I suppose, assuming you haven't seen them before.

3. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

That's easy:

IV, V, VI

Oh, I didn't mention I, II, or III? Well that's cause they suck and are a waste of time. ha!

4. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Have you even seen Episode III?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think IV-VI, then I-III.

Straight I-VI will highlight the giant effects cliff from III (presumably - I'm seeing it in an hour) to IV, whereas seeing it in chronological release order won't. Also, the "I am your father" bit in V will be completely worthless if you've already seen I-III.

6. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I just got back from seeing III. Good stuff - will definitely catch it again once the crowds die down. I would recommend watching them in release order (4, 5, 6 then 1, 2, 3).

7. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I would have to agree... 4-6, then 1-3. Going to go see 3 tonite hopefully. All theatres were sold out last nite, but o well. I like sleep. :)

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm not sure...

I'm definitively gonna see I-VI, in that order on some Sunday next winter, when I have all of them on DVD.

But, for the best first time viewing I'm leaning towards IV-VI, then I-III, but I'm not sure. Actually if episode III really is better than I (and II) and links the original trilogy to the prequels then maybe seeing the saga I through to VI is the better choice...

Either way, the EU books, continuing after the battle of Endor is way better than the films (in part because you get even closer to all the characters that you are presented to in the movies). Highly recommended (up until, and not including, the New Jedi Order)!

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Yep- midnight showing. Better than 1&2 by far. It did tie the story together nicely. But I'm old school. So I say leave it at 4-6.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Isn't that the truth? What a waste of raw materials too! Episode III may be good but why not stop with a successful film?

11. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

They were all successful in the eyes of Lucas. Every Star Wars film has made him money, ergo they are all successful. I will admit that the pre-quels don't hold the nostalgia factor of the originals but they weren't that much worse either (they are worse but not by the landslide some would have you believe). None of the Star Wars movies are known for great acting or dialogue (Luke's whining in IV and V is almost as bad as Anakin's in the prequels). We just hold the originals on a pedestal because many of us saw them through the eyes of a child, and of course they were unlike most movies of the time. Kids seem to like the new movies better than the old, young children even seem to like Jar-Jar, and to hear Lucas talk they have always been the target audience.

I'm tending to agree that the best method for someone who has never seen the films is in the original release order so you get the "I am your father/brother" surprises, and then go back to see the fall of the republic/Jedi. However once you know the surprises it might be interesting to see the entire story arc in chronological order, and for repeated viewings after that possibly stick to III-V, if III is really as good as I've been hearing.

12. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I watched Episode IV last night, and I was thinking the same thing about Luke's whining...there are a lot of cheesy lines in that movie. Still love it, but definitely cheesy at times...

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We were discussing this last night... my girlfriends nephew is just coming up to the right age to watch the films (he's Doctor Who potty so we imagine he'd lap them up). We both agreed that they are best seen in the order they were originally made.

Plus of course, if you made someone watch The Phantom Menace first they might not want to watch the other five. ;)