What is the best rewards credit card?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by streetfighter, Nov 15, 2006.

1. streetfighter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I recently cancelled my Capital One Platinum card. I'm in the market for a new credit card, specifically one that gives cash back. I was looking at the Citi Dividend cards a few weeks back and noticed that they offered 5% cash back on groceries and gas. Unfortuantely, when I checked today they lowered that rate to 2%.

Anyways what is a good credit card that offers cash back on things like groceries and utilities. Is Discover good?

Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...the CitiCard folks just dropped it to 2%. I was a bit peeved about that.

There's the Chase Freedom Card that gives 3% back on groceries, gas, and fast food. But I think I have a Chase card that still gives 5% for certain things...I'll have to look into and see if it's still being offered or if I'm just being grandfathered along. I've been meaning to pop that one back into my wallet to use instead of my CitiCard...thanks for the reminder.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Credit 101. Don't you know you never cancel a credit card that you have built up a history with? It lowers your credit to debt ratio, and brings down your consumer credit score. You simply just don't use it anymore. This of course, doesn't apply if they charge you an annual fee. :)

I personally use an Amazon Visa Card for everything, and pay it off at the end of the month. Every few months or so, I end up with a $50 Amazon Gift Certificate. Nice little bonus.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

But if you have too many "open", it also lowers your credit score. :confused:

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Way I understand it is that you want to leave them open with no balance for a certain period of time, then close it. Want to say it's like 2 years, and this is assuming you have opened other accounts since you stopped using the old ones.

In any case, I, too am looking for a card that gives good rewards on gas, groceries, and also transfered balances. My wife and I would like to consolidate our current cards (very small amounts still lingering from college and when I was laid off my job for a bit - maybe $2000 or so), and get some travel rewards for our normal purchases. Anyone know a decent travel reward card? Hotel stays, cruises, plane tickets, etc. :)

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

All depends on what kind of rewards you want. My Citibank card was knocked back to 2% on groceries and fuel, but they expanded the places where you could get that 2% instead of the normal 1%. Discover is also not bad. The real bonus there is that you can get the cash back or get deals from certain retailers at an even better rate. (The current deals aren't as sweet as they used to be, but they aren't bad.) To me, those are the two best deals going. But if you fly or travel a lot, there might be a card with miles or hotel perks you might want to look into. Looking into buying a car? Check out a GM card (just watch out for the exceptions - Saturn, Hummer, etc.).