What is the best "value" video card for Aperture use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amberashby, Feb 12, 2006.

1. amberashby macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have a dual 2.0 G5 with 2.5GB of ram but I have a puny ATI Radeon 9600 pro with 64MB of VRAM.

Aperture runs o.k. but from what I've read performance would increase substantially if I had a better video card.

I've seen all of the Apple recommended video cards, but I'm wondering if any of you know what the best "bang for the buck" video card would be. Specifically for the purpose of increasing performance in Aperture.

Thanks.

2. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

AJBMatrix

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

He's asking about AGP 8x Pro cards for the PowerMac G5, not just a generic PC video card...and Aperture uses the video system like none other.

I would recommend a Radeon X800, or a Geforce 6800-series card if you can find one that is Mac-compatible.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Actually, Aperture DOES rely heavily on VRAM because it's real time effects are based on OS X's Core Video.

Take a look at the Radeon 9800 G5 Mac Edition. That is the least expensive (though it's not inexpensive) card you can get for your machine.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've got a 9800XT 256MB Radeon I'm looking to unload. Runs Motion pretty well, can't imagine Aperture would be any worse. Looking for $200 if you're interested

6. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

AJBMatrix

Ok, well I did not realize that it used that much VRAM. Ok, well then go for the better ones then.