What is the best way to get new consoles?

Discussion in 'Games' started by wPod, Nov 1, 2006.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

So, the new video game consoles are comming out soon. (duh) And I want to get one of each, the PS3 and the Wii. I want to sell the PS3 make some money, then buy one later once the holiday season is over. The Wii i actually will give to my little brother b/c he really really wants one and I know my parents wont get it for him (short of going on e-bay a week before xmas and paying some rediculous sum of moeny for one). When the DS came out I drove around to 5 stores on the day of release before I lucked into finding one (again getting it for my brother).

So, when are the official release days, and what do you think the best method is for buying?

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

No offense, but if you don't know this and haven't already preordered, you're not getting either at this point.

That or enjoy 2+ days of camping!

3. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I'd say find a Wal-Mart in a small town. They probably won't have a whole lot of demand. I have one about 10 miles from me and I can't see more than a handful of people showing at at release. I also heard that they don't do pre-orders in store so you could just show up and hope to get one.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i would say ordering one online from bestbuy or something and when you get it, you get it. Thats what I think I am gonna do, if it takes a month or two or three, oh well, better than getting all stressed about getting 3rd shipment units and stuff.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You might be unlucky with the PS3 now, but there's supposed to be a ***** load of Wii's coming over. Somewhere round the 2 million mark.

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Good idea. Shame 1000 other PS3 fans from around the globe had the same idea. :p

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

The official PS3 launch day is Nov. 17th. If you want one you'll have to camp out for at least 12+ hours minimum, and you'll still have a tough time getting one. If you're only purpose in getting one is to sell it on ebay, regardless of what you might sell it for, it's probably not worth it, but that's up to you.

The official Wii launch day is Nov 19th. I expect that getting to Wal-Mart between 11 and 1130 on the 18th you'd still have a high chance of snagging a Wii, as it's entirely possible that there'll be a million units dispersed throughout the stores for launch. If you don't get one launch day, then chances are you would have to wait a week or two at most as multiple shipments can reasonably be expected before Christmas.

8. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

pre ordering is the worst thing to do! for starters all of the big stores, best buy, walmart etc do not allow pre ordering. 2nd thing, the stores that do allow pre ordering, such as game stop and other little niche game stores, often require you pre order a 'kit' and well honestly they over sell their pre-orders. i tried that with the DS and got royally screwed. little stores get like 2 units in and that of course goes to the manager and whoever sucks up the most to the manager! then as more units trickle in over the next few months they go down the list of 'pre orders' and sell to whoever got their pre order in first. maybe that was just one bad time that happend to me, but i dont like pre-ordering anymore.

i do like the going to a small town wallmart idea. the only thing i could see going wrong with that is showing up, being the first one there, and not getting one! simply because the kid who works in the electronics section already promised them all to his friends and b/c im from 'out of town' he wouldnt have any availble for me!

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well you'll have to buy them. and expect not to get them if you didn't Pre-order. it is the safest way to get one for sure, they don't oversell anymore due to what happened with the XBox 360, which is why it took so long for the Pre-Orders to be available, because they need to know how many units they are getting.

there will be long lines and lots of fighting for them. good luck i suppose.

the Wii will likely be easier to get as its been in production longer and Nintendo has more units, or so we've heard.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You're wrong; GameStop was embarrassed last year because they expected more units than they got. This year, they held off preorders until they knew exactly how many units they were getting. This year, if you have a GameStop or EBGames preorder, you WILL have a console, because they know exactly how many they are receiving and are allowing only that many preorders.

And thats why the reorders are so hard to get this year. My GameStop was sold out of preorders within minutes of starting (we had 20 people lined up ten minutes before the preorders started, and there was only 16 preorders available). And GameStop are NOT requiring any "kits" this year.

11. Malus macrumors 6502

Camp out at a Walmart...I'm doing that...trying to convince the girlfriend to come with me haha.

12. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

To the OP:

I actually have an Amazon.com preorder that I won't be suing (decided to see if someone will surprise me with it at christmas. I dunno if there's a way to do this but if you trust me enough I could change the billing and shipping to your info. I do have an ebay user name with a little history, and I've been posting on the boards for a while so it's not like I'm coming on to scam you.

13. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

<sarcasm>um, YOURE WRONG!</sarcasm> heh. no, it sounds like i was right. BUT i didnt know they changed their ways this time around!!! its good to hear! unfortunatly i let the pre-order date go by because i didnt know it had changed! darn!!!!!

which console? pm me if you are serious about working something out. the wii is something personal for my little bro, so id be more willing to figure something out for that. the PS3 is purely for profit, so if you want me to take it cheap from you and turn around and sell it for a lot, then id also be willing to work that out!