What is the Boot Camp XP GFX performance like?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by monkeyandy, Apr 5, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Does anyone have any idea what the GFX performance is like in XP using bootcamp? Anyone tried running any games yet?

2. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I am installing wow on a 1.8 imac right now, I will let you know how it runs when I am done updating.

3. macrumors 68020

What if it's faster than OS X?

What if Blizzard stops releasing for OS X?

Is that game even Universal yet?

:confused:

4. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

It will be faster than OS X.

Not they won't stop releasing it on OS X

Yes, it is universal.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Cheers! Waiting with baited breath! :eek:

6. macrumors member

Do you have to format the drive before you do it or can you keep your current installation of OSX?

7. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

No need to reformat, boot camp has a partition resizer, that changes the size of your OS X partition and makes a windows one, without damaging any data.

Of course, it is a good idea to back up stuff anyways.:)

8. macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

If Apple makes it really easy to run both OSX and Windows on the same hardware (which they seem to be doing), it might mean that Apple will get really serious about optimizing the OpenGL portion of the OS for performance since it will be much easier to compare OSX and Windows versions of games. It will look bad if Windows OpenGL titles perform much faster than OSX OpenGL titles.

9. macrumors 68020

Yeah, amen to that.

10. macrumors newbie

Half Life 2

Anyone else tried hl2 or cs:s, I got a memory read error when loading into cs:s menu.

11. macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

anyone with game performance opinions please post up. if they are good, i'll be buying an iMac.

aussie_geek

12. macrumors newbie

I installed HL2 and it runs like a champ! Initial load was a little slow but in game smooth as butter! Settings on high using widescreen mode.

MacBook Pro 2 GHz w/ 2 GB ram and ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB VRAM.

Sweet! :D

13. macrumors P6

Peace

I've installed the dual boot using Apple's BootCamp and now have a fully functional XP!!

Graphics are typical for a PC with an ATI X1600 128megs VRAM video card..I have the iMac 17" 1.83 Dual-Core..

Nice little bootloader too!! switches seemlessly..

Only game I've installed so far..just to test...was Flight Simulator and it flies like a champ..

I'll put up a couple screenshots a little later..

All I've got to say is WAY TO GO STEVE!

14. macrumors newbie

Lol here is an email I just sent to the rest of the guys (and gal) in our IT dept. My MacBook Pro is my "work" laptop. We need to test these things...

"HL2 runs sweet on the MacBook Pro :) Our gaming dreams have finally been answered! All settings on high in widescreen. This is a Direct X game so it’s all gaming goodness. The Open GL games I’m sure will also be just fine.

w00t

Ah yeah from a professional standpoint I’m pretty sure the MS productivity suite most likely will also run well...."

15. macrumors newbie

what?

Are you kidding me?

Let me get this straight...are you saying...Half Life 2 runs *well* on a Macbook Pro/iMac...

Does that mean that any recent PC game will now run on Apple Intel Macs?

In my opinion, the only reason to give Mac users an XP platform was for things like AutoCAD and specific architectural programs/accounting programs, and the rest are to finally get the games onto the mac.

Someone set me straight before I lose my mind.

16. macrumors newbie

If people could post gfx benchmarks (e.g. 3DMark05 results), I and many others would greatly appreciate it.

3DMark05 can be downloaded here.

17. macrumors newbie

Downloading it now. XP partition in in Fat32 so I can download in OS X and virus scan then copy it to my Windows desktop. I'll post the benchmark score when I have it.

18. macrumors 6502a

asherman13

19. macrumors newbie

Crashed my MacBook Pro twice. Same spot just after the first blimp scene, the one after that. It starts the test and crashes Windows, does a chkdsk on reboot. Anyone know what test that is?

20. macrumors regular

any updates?

21. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I just finished with the Splinter Cell: Chaos theory demo... my jaw is still on the floor.

22. macrumors G4

Mord

being a nazi is bad. :cool:

23. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

LOL

Installed EA Sports F1 '99-'02 on my Mac mini Core Duo 1 GB RAM.
    I have this hooked up to my 26" LCD TV (1280 x 768 rez), and it is simply gr8!!!

All settings max (not too surprizing as this game is a couple of years old), but it looks awesome!

Man, this is sooo cool!! :cool:

24. macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Any chance someone could run Cinebench on XP on an intel mac? It would be interesting to see how it compares to running it in OSX.

Available to download from - http://www.cinebench.com/

Thanks

Glassbathroom

25. macrumors G4

Mord