What is the default root password for OSx?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by cafe99, Mar 6, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a problem, I need to install a program call zimbra and the software ask me to login as root.

I can't remember that I have enter or change password for this super user root account.

Anyone can point me to the right direction?

Many thanks!:)

Choong Leng

2. macrumors 68020

By default ROOT is not activated. You must go to your utilities folder and go to net info manager and activate the ROOT account.

Once in net info manager go to:

1. Security
    2. Authenticate
    3. Security
    4. Enable Root User
    5. Follow prompts

Good luck, though playing with root is risky and make sure you are 100% sure this is required.

3. macrumors 6502a

As long as we're talking root access, here's another question. I normally use a Standard User account, probably because I'm still a little bit skittish - I'm a recent switcher :D - and I noticed something strange. If I'm in my Standard User account and have to use the terminal and use the 'sudo' command, i get a prompt for a password. When I enter the Administrator account password, the prompt indicates that I entered the wrong password. When I log into the Administrator account, however, I can use the 'sudo' command with no problems. Why is that?

HawaiiMacAddict

4. macrumors 601

Westside guy

By default only admins are in the sudoers file - however if you're reasonably Unix-savvy, you can add your non-admin account in as well (and it will stay there).

5. macrumors 65816

emptyCup

From a technical point of view Westside answered your question. However, since you are "a little skittish", you should accept the extra security of having to log into a separate administrator account. Otherwise you might as well have the convenience of working as an administrator all the time.