Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
I am thinking about getting the TZ5 but then I found out about the TZ4 and it was cheaper. I was looking for the difference between the two but I couldn't find one. Does anyone know the difference? The TZ5 is at least $50 more than the TZ4.

Thanks!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think the main difference between the two are:

1. The TZ5 is 9MP vs. 8MP for the TZ4.

2. The TZ5 has a movie mode capable of 1280x720-30p while the TZ4 is limited to 853x480-30p.

The TZ5 might have more built-in flash memory, but I'm not sure about that. And in my opinion, it doesn't really matter too much.

ft

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I am thinking about getting the TZ5 but then I found out about the TZ4 and it was cheaper. I was looking for the difference between the two but I couldn't find one. Does anyone know the difference? The TZ5 is at least $50 more than the TZ4.

Thanks!

Little bit more than that.

The TZ5 and 4 share the same lens, body and menu system, but not the same sensor. The TZ4 has a 9MP 4:3 format sensor capable of standard def video in 16:9 and 4:3 formats. The TZ4 also has 16:9 capabilities for shooting pictures, but it's not native to the sensor. Instead the TZ4 crops the tops and bottoms of the picture to get to 16:9

The TZ5 has a multi-aspect sensor capable of true 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 shots, including all 3 at the same time. Additionally, that sensor can do 720p video at 30fps. The other BIG advantage of the TZ5 vs. TZ4 is it has a GORGEOUS 430K pixel LCD screen vs. the TZ4's 260K pixel LCD. The TZ5 will be easier to see in bright light, and playback on the TZ5 is wonderful.

Image quality is about the same, but (in short) the TZ5 gives you more native picture modes, HD video mode and a better LCD. It's worth the money for most folks, but if you are on a tight budget, the TZ4 is also a nice camera.

check out http://www.dpreview.com to compare the two directly.

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Little bit more than that.

The TZ5 and 4 share the same lens, body and menu system, but not the same sensor. The TZ4 has a 9MP 4:3 format sensor capable also of standard def video in 16:9 and 4:3 formats. The TZ4 also has 16:9 capabilities for shooting pictures, but it's not native to the sensor. Instead the TZ4 crops the tops and bottoms of the picture to get to 16:9

The TZ5 has a multi-aspect sensor capable of true 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 shots, including all 3 at the same time. Additionally, that sensor can do 720p video at 30fps. The other BIG advantage of the TZ5 vs. TZ4 is it has a GORGEOUS 430K pixel LCD screen vs. the TZ4's 260K pixel LCD. The TZ5 will be easier to see in bright light, and playback on the TZ5 is wonderful.

Image quality is about the same, but (in short) the TZ5 gives you more native picture modes, HD video mode and a better LCD. It's worth the money for most folks, but if you are on a tight budget, the TZ4 is also a nice camera.

check out http://www.dpreview.com to compare the two directly.

Oh, thanks a bunch, that helped me out. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.