What is the difference between these two copies of OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gherkin, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Why does the one not say "Install DVD" on it?

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I wonder if the one without additional wording is install CDs?

3. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, I think I actually figured it out. The one is an Upgrade DVD, the other is a full Install DVD.

It's not the CDs because they both feel the same weight, there's definitely only one disc in both.

4. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

What is really the difference between the two though? Is the Install DVD needed if you are upgrading from OS 9?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I thought they were one and the same though. Unless you mean one of them is the copy sent out to people who bought Macs within a month of Tiger's release.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

An Upgrade version lets you go from 10.3 to 10.4, whereas the non-upgrade version won't check for a previous version.

You type faster than me :eek: :p

7. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

So the one without "Install DVD" written on it absolutely requires OS X 10.3 to work?

8. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

There should be at least two disks in both, if they're like my copy. I got a trial of iWork in my box.

9. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

These weren't in a box. They are straight from Apple (I assume because I'm signed up for the Student Developer Program).

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a matter of seconds...

I probably should put something about New Zealanders here... ;)

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

So the upgrade copy is crippled? I never heard of a OSX version that required the immediate prior version. I think it is more of a different generation of packaging.

Or they are using the CD packaging to contain the DVD.

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I don't think it requires 10.3 to install. I believe you have to have 10.0 or later.

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I would be mad if I only had an "upgrade" dvd. I like to reformat alot and it would be a PAIN and more unstable to install an older OS X and then upgrade it to Tiger every time.

14. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Which is why I buy the full install pack every time there's a new version out. :)

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I think the unlabeled one is an ADC pre-release copy.

16. kant macrumors 6502

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know what's funny? My box -- retail copy -- looks different than *both* of your boxes! :eek: The front cover has the white Apple logo at the *top*, the X, and *no* other text. :)

Also, BTW, even though it's been said like 15,000 times in other threads -- outside of special offers like the one for Macs sold after the retail release date announcement, and developer copies of OS X, Apple doesn't sell *anything* except full install copies of OS X. There are no retail "upgrade" copies of Tiger.

Also, in response to what ITASOR said...my impression is that even the upgrade disks require the previous OS X or *LATER* to be installed -- so you don't have to have Panther on to install Tiger from them. You can install Tiger over an existing Tiger install too. You just cannot use them to install Tiger over Jaguar, etc.... You can even reformat, although you might not be able to reformat using some kind of third party app (you'd have to use the erase and install option in the Tiger installer itself).

18. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

So what's exactly inside? The full install?

I'm selling them on eBay, and it would be nice to get the description correct.

19. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Same here. This if for the Family Pack.

Gherkin, where did you get the boxes from?

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think he said ADC....

Anyway, since you're talking about selling them on eBay, I would definitely recommend that you make it clear that they are not retail boxes. I don't know what wording to suggest, but as a buyer, I would not appreciate it if you played word games with me and made me think I was getting a retail copy but got an OEM copy or some other limited copy instead.... That's not an accusation against you. It just happens too much on eBay and it bothers me. I think it would be much better if you were upfront about what you're selling. Why did ADC send you *two* copies anyway?

21. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

This this all macs? Even a previous edition one not bought from apple but an authorized reseller? I bought mine within a month after tigers realease(barly) and i dident get an upgrade disk.....Should i call apple and ask for my money back? i could use 120 bucks?

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

More information on the up-to-date program is here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

If you bought a used / refurbished Mac, it is not eligible. If you bought a*new mac from an authorized reseller within the period, it is eligible, but I seriously doubt Apple will refund you the money for the copy of Tiger you bought. You can try, but following the program is your responsibility, and not Apple's. If you didn't get the coupon because you bought an out-of-production model from a reseller...well.... At most, that's the reseller's issue and not Apple's. :(

You might be able to eBay it and get some of it back, though (i.e. pay $10 for the up-to-date copy, and then sell your retail copy for $70-80 on eBay, netting the difference).

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Students don't get prerelease copies.

24. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I got the DVDs because I was signed up with the Student Developer thing (though my account is now expired).

I don't know why I got 2 copies. I'm pretty sure one came with the usual monthly mailing and the other came with an OS X t-shirt.

25. panphage macrumors 6502

I got the same two CDs in two seperate ADC student mailings too. One of them says "Upgrade DVD" on the actual DVD. I don't know if it requires a previous version or not (I installed tiger from a retail pack the day before it came out), I've never heard apple doing that.