What is the "easiest, healthy, non-fattening" you can cook in 3 min?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Jan 27, 2007.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I don't like cooking with grill or oven because it takes too much of my time. I want to shove things in the microwave and time it for 3 min and get it done with it. I admit I am an anti-Christ for food culture. Can someone recommend the recipe based on this requirement? I don't like restaurants; so, I prefer pick things up at supermarkets quickly.
    Edit: Let me add "tasty" in this formula.

2. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

You got me there. I am not a big fan of cereal. Too bland. Can someone suggest something else?

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

onion bhajis:

Easy way-
    1. chop onion (30 secs)
    2. Put in bowl with water + spices (coriander, turmeric etc) (30 secs)
    3. Fry... (2.min)

OK...so oil isn't so healthy, but it does has its good points...

EDIT: Just saw you wanted microwave. Microwave food = unhealthy, thats a FACT!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Cup of tap water, microwave 1 minute, drink.

In some areas, this will bring all the flavors of the pollutants out. ;)

Mmm... hot chlorine.

5. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Microwave?! Tasty?! Tbh, you could do quick cook pasta on the hob for about 5 mins and then add some tuna, mayonaise, onions etc and thats roughly you, but why these restrictions? I mean, seriously, pasta's just "add-water-and-chuck-it-on-hob"-mode.:confused:

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Honey on toast. Maybe with hundreds and thousands(sprinkles?) if you're lucky

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's only unhealthy if it started out that way. The microwave doesn't change anything. If it goes in healthy it will come out healthy.

8. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I appreciate your feedback on this. But, onion is said to cause bad breath. I eat onion as part of salada. But, onion itself does not seem too tasty.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Unless you nuke it until it is dead. Which a lot of people do. So they think a microwave = badly cooked food.

The microwave works best if you cook things slowly and give with some pauses in the cooking cycle and give the food time to equalize temperature.

A cheap food thermometer also helps, so you don't instantly overcook things.

Never have problems reheating chicken or even keeping the beef warm and pink inside.

10. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

raw celery

maybe add some smuckers natural p-nut butter if you can stand the fat

11. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

1) 1 tbs. peanut butter on multigrain toast. Zap it so it so the peanut butter spreads out.
    2) break a couple eggs in a microwavable dish. Add some pepper, green onions, asparagus, one slice cheese. Zap for 2 minutes.

12. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I lived for a long time on microwaved sugar snap peas (with spray on I can't believe its not butter) and prepared packaged tuna steaks. It's healty, tastes decent, and quick.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well you already said you don't want it but -

Cheese on toast. grilled. Polish Sepoka (sp.), chopped cherry tomatoes. lovely stuff.

14. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think whoever comes up with the best "food" for this will be a next millionaire (in US Dollar, that is). There are many folks who are too busy to get bothered with cooking things after coming home from work.

15. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Bagels shouldn't be done in a microwave, but they can be done a toaster, which is equally mindless.

Also, not microwaveable, but eggs have protien and cook in seconds on the stove.

Microwave-based? If you have a New Seasons, Wild Oats, or Trader Joes near you, you can pick up healthy (ish) organic microwaveable meals, most commonly eaten at my school are enchilladas and mac and cheese.

Salads require no cooking, and are healthy. The hey with salad is to put in delicious things to combat the green-healthy-ness. I usually take leftover chicken, slice it up, cover it in cheese, then melt it in a toaster over, then put it on a salad with feta, a balsamic vinegar and oil dressing, often with chopped up pears, and toasted walnuts.

Another alternative to microwave food, also, is to cook, but do it in huge quantities once a month. For example, make enough spagetti sauce for 15 meals, then freeze in meal-sized containers. That way you have 15 healthy meals for which all you have to do is boil pasta, and you only spend 2 hours a month cooking, which really isn't that bad.

Sorry that most of this isn't microwave based, but I tried! :)

16. BigPrince macrumors 68020

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Instant Oatmeal. Cheap. Quick and easy to prepare. Warm and good. Comes mixed with a variety of tastes.

Nuke and add a little milk.

18. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Ramen noodles. Or those freeze-dried soup cup things. I'm not a huge fan of either but they are fast and fairly healthy - at least if you get decent ramen or soup cups.

19. UserofMacOSX macrumors member

UserofMacOSX

What about Hot Pockets? I like Ramen noodles, but the soup cups make me violently ill and very unpleasant! :mad: They are atrocious.

20. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Ramen noodle you can buy at the regular grocery stores are not healthy. Too much trans-fat and salt. It is just a bad food. You can get fat very easily by eating those things. So, it does not make a cut for my requirement of "not fattening" and "healthy."

Hot Pockets are loaded with saturated fat, coupled with high calorie. It is not healthy nor "non-fattening." Even someone gives it to me free, I won't even eat that thing.

21. UserofMacOSX macrumors member

UserofMacOSX

Maybe I should have specified the Lean Pockets thing, the healthier ones. Go get some hard-tack, that has nothing in it except tooth-breaking goodness! LOL

22. shecky Guest

shecky

-stir fry veggies (there are some good frozen packs out there with a nice mix of ingredients, nuke for 2 minues to defrost them) with some kind of protien (chicken or shrimp for me), a little splash of soy, mirin and maybe some hoisin sauce over brown rice (the 90 second microwave packs of rice are super easy and i think taste great). this can be cooked in one dish (wok) and made inside of 5 minutes. very healthy since you use a tiny bit of oil and a wide variety of flavors depending on the protein, the veggies and the sauces you add

-fish (i like tilapia) with ritz crackers crumpled over the top, in a oval glass dish, oven at 400 for 25 minutes. does take 25 minutes to cook but only about 2 minutes to prepare. you can also get frozen fish fillets. some lemon adds nicely to it.

-i second oatmeal. super healthy, very filling, very easy. add a combination of dried fruit, fresh fruit, maple syrup, brown sugar, and/or honey to jazz it up.

23. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

You're right. Regular grocery-store ramen noodles are junk. You can buy good ramen noodles at health food stores, and I've seen them at some regular grocery stores too, that ARE healthy: whole grain noodles, miso/soy seasoning rather than just oil and salt, etc.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe