Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chachat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
San Francisco
I have been considering adding an Apple TV to my home and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to possible upgrades to Apple TV hardware in the near future and whether it was worthwhile to wait.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
who knows. the current atv hardware is the same since the day it came out albeit with the addition of the 160 GB drive option.

A faster processor seems likely at some point, but other than that its already pretty full featured as is. I could see more features added via software updates first. But who knows.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Right now the most logical updates in my opinion is a shift to the Intel Atom processor, since it may run far cooler than the current processor used.

A shift to SATA based hard drives. since its a a more compact interface, and sata drives are becoming cheaper than their older IDE counterparts. and it might allow for a higher capacity baseline, and high end, lets say 80-120 for a base unit, and 250-320 for the high end model at current prices

Possibly a new IGP, that is capable of running 1080p video...

And with the iphone's strength at gaming there may be a feasible chance of an appleTV appstore opening up with a few simple games (i'm not exactly expecting half-life to launch its way onto the appleTV). Though, that may require yet another interface update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.