What is the largest single file you have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5orbust, Oct 1, 2002.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    My highest was a ripped version of Fast and The Furious. It was a .mov file and was 33.1 GB. Yep, it took almost 2 hours of uninteruped encoding at 4,000 KBPS (4 MBps for anyone who doesnt know anything) to get it. It slowed my comp down so much i had to delete it, so i cant make a picture of the info box as proof. Sorry.
  2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    When I wrote edu software we had a 6.8TB database file.
  3. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Nice thread! I filmed, edited and sold a video of my former schools graduators (is that a word?). Well, they left school and I filmed on three events and cut a 2 hour (exactly) video of it.

The wohle project was filmed with 2 cams synchroniously, so I had to sync all cuts together. The resulting raw material had 5 MiniDV cassettes. I transferred them ALL on HD, the total project size was about 95 GB.

Playing the project was not fast enough, so I exported it to one DV file which had 26.4 GB size. Wow... I sold 81 copies of that movie!

DV sucks up so many HD space, its amazing! :D
  4. bidge macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    New Zealand
    I edited a Show that we did, we had three cameras and it was a very long show, one tape for each act.

Overall there were 9 tapes for each of the two nights.

All on MiniDV so not nearly as big as your whopping 6.8 TB. Awesome.
  5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Ive done some 3DS Max animation that when rendered out has become obscene in file size... gotta love network rendering, baby!

database work for some ebusiness software has hit some big numbers.. anyone want to guess at the size of walmarts inventory :)

I cant say I have ever been personally responsible for ever hitting a terabyte though... congrats.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Working with some satellite imagery, I've seen some files/databases in TB - not sure how much though, its been a while.
  7. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Once, I saw a file on one of our Win2000 servers at work that was around 43 terrabytes.

Now before any of you start screaming "Liar!!!" let me explain that this situation was indeed impossible. The total capacity of the server was only around 180 Gig or so. But for some reason this file was around and was reported as having an impossibly large size. Running disk utilities did not fix it, and eventually we just deleted it (with our fingers crossed).

Pretty weird Windows bug.

8. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    wow i never thought id see ANYONE say ANYTHING about TB sized files!!!! And i thought that it was crazy when m HD went from 38 GB to 1.94GB left in about 2 hours! TB's must zap up hard drive space faster than new space can be put in. I wonder how long it would take to open taht big of a file in something like photoshop.... that would require every single bit in about 4 GB of PC 1066 RD RAM just to open fast enough.