what is the original iPad case made from?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by alecgold, May 30, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

alecgold

I have been wondering what the original Apple iPad case has been made from.
    ive got the idea that it has been made from TPU with a nylon/polyester fabric at it's hart.
    If that is the case, the Apple ipad case might not be the pretiest around, but it might last longer than any other case.

I've got a foldable kayak with a hypalon skin (a Klepper Aerius, wooden frame, cotton/hypalon skin, build in Germany and very nice imho).
    Those hypalon skin's have been around for ages and ages, but last year Klepper came out with a new skin. about 1/8 of the thickness and much, much lighter. I got a small sample of the TPU skin and it's almost impossible to damage. Even a chisel had a hard time getting through. It needs to be that though, because when you land, you grind it over sand,pebbles, rocks or shells. And all of those can be really abrasive and cut quite deep in your feet.

The sample of TPU is just as flexible as the not-stiff parts of the Apple case, doesn't smell either and has a bit smoother surface (but that is just the way it was finished).

Did anybody find anywhere what the case was made from?

2. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

The Apple case is not TPU. It's a vinyl and microsuede around a cardboard or plastic core.

3. macrumors 6502

Karnivore

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

alecgold

Rofl

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Post of the Day™!

Well done, sir. :D

6. macrumors 6502

Karnivore

They don't call iPad "magical" for no reason ;)