What is the path for my file.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dark.deadpool, May 13, 2006.

1. dark.deadpool macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2005
    Hello, I am learning HTML and basic webdesign, and is considerably new to macs. I was wondering how the file path on macs works. For example, if I have a file in the "home" section of OSX, how do I specify that file?

Thank you in advance.
  2. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    Drag the file into a safari window to see it's path. Here's an example of what a path would be to something in your user folder:

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    Though I'd think you'd want to use relative links, not absolute ones.
  4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Home folders exist in the "Users" folder, which in turn exists in the the root folder of your hard drive, so a full file path to something in the home folder would look like: /Users/erendiox/Stuff.mov. A file on the desktop would look like /Users/erendiox/Desktop/Stuff.mov. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to be ABSOLUTELY EXACT when writing a file path, including captial letters and puntuation marks, or it won't work. You can experiment with this by using the finder. Use the Go>Go to Folder from the drop down menu and type in a file/folder path to open it.
  5. reh macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2003
    Another thing worth noting is you can abbreviate the location of your home folder with a tilde (~). So a file on your desktop could be shown as ~/Desktop/somefile.mov (don't use that on webpages though).
  6. dark.deadpool thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2005
    Wow, lots of help quickly.

Thank you so much for all the help. I had another question, I was wondering why this is so.

I wrote a bit of html to test my skills. On my mac using textedit, it didn't work (!!all!! of the html shows up including the <stuff in these brackets>).

I imputted the same text into notepad on a pc, and it worked fine.

I'm 100 percent sure that I saved it as .html, and I used the pulldown menu to save it at .html.

I would much prefer to use my mac for making the website (obviously) but need to solve this little hiccup.

Thanks in advance for your advice.