What is the PC equivalent of a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greyfalco, Dec 15, 2006.

1. greyfalco macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2006
    I just wanted to compare, I'm already a Mac user, but that was back in the PPC days. I'm new to this Mac Intel jazz. Anyhow, yeah, so are the chips called the same thing? Woodcrest, etc? Is there much of a price difference?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Woodcrest is a code name. These are Dual-core Xeon Processors. You probably want to look at something like this. Remember to add two processors!
  3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    There's the HP xw8400 series and the Dell Precision 690 among others. It's not exactly identical, although all have similar motherboards and dual-Xeon capability.

These days you can also put together a dual-Xeon machine from bits, as all the parts are now available retail. Some motherboards available this way are compelling alternatives to what's offered by the above machines + Pro.

I'd suggest phoning Dell and HP for prices, rather than doing it online. looking for deals on peripherals may also help.

Aside from the Pro I have Precision 690s for work-related computing and its slightly less hernia-inducing smaller brother the 490 for noodling about at home... and I like both machines a lot (All of the Xeon machines I have are currently based around the 3Ghz 5160). Solidly and conservatively engineered, very extensible, better 'out of the box' performance options and blows Apple clean away as far as support is concerned.

I get a good corporate discount on all my Dell purchases. The undiscounted price was significantly higher than the equivalent Pro for the first two 690's I bought (just after release). Recent purchases though - including the 490 - have tended to be somewhat below the equivalent Pro.