What is the point of the Anti-Smoking campaign paid for by Philip Morris

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iDM, Aug 15, 2005.

1. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Does anyone have an idea why Philip-Morris seems to be putting out so many anti-smoking ads? Is it because they know people are going to continue to smoke regardless? I have yet to be able to wrap my mind around this one yet! Any thoughts?

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

They're required to by law, because cigarettes are so lethal. :D

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Part of the $200+ billion settlement with the tobacco companies (about $250 million I think) was to be used for anti-smoking ads. Philip Morris has recently rolled a new, voluntary $100 million anti-smoking campaign targeting children. Research is showing that these ads are ineffective (as opposed to those from other groups that really are anti-smoking). It's an attempt at bolstering their public image by appearing to "help the children," knowing full well that the ads don't do anything.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Check out this link. The Legacy Foundation (set up in the settlement) has been running the "Truth" campaign with some success. Kids who view the "Think. Don't Smoke." ads by Philip Morris are actually more likely to smoke. So they're not anti-smoking ads after all...

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I also heard that most of their sales come from other countries (i.e. places where they don't run these ads).

6. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Wow!! Congrats, dude! :)
    (You've probably saved enough money for a new iPod by now.. go treat yourself! :))

8. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Probably. I haven't really kept tabs. Maybe I should have though. One thing I am treating myself is Sin City tomorrow.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its funny how the government is forcing a tobacco company to bad-mouth their own tobacco products and tell people never to start using their products. And while it makes Philip Morris look strange, when people find out WHY they have to do it (ie: they legally need to do so), it makes people look at their government and ask them why they don't just ban it completely. I know tobacco brings in a lot of money, but making Philip Morris advise people not to use their products is non-sensical. Some might even call it......dare I say it......"stupid."

10. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I don't normally like getting into politcal debates, but as an ex-smoker, I feel like I have to say something.

I knew from the first drag I took on a cigarette what it was doing to me. Not just that it was going to kill me one day, the actual physical process of what is going on inside my body when I smoke. I learned all of this from school, all these programs and assemblies and such that I was forced to go to. I think we have enough of these that we don't need all this "Truth" crap all over my TV.

Why should the tobacco companies have to tell people not to use their products when they are not even allowed to advertise said products in anything but print and billboards? Why don't the alcohol companies have the same regulations? Why does every company ever sued because their products hurt someone not have to say not to use their product? Is it simply because it kills people? Alcohol kills people, guns kill people, McDonalds kills people? Why are there such stringent regulations on tobacco, but not anything else?

And this is not in any way an attempt to support tobacco companies. I paid these ****ers every day for 5 years to kill me slowly. Why? I dunno, I was stupid. I just want to understand things. That's all. But maybe we aren't meant to.

11. iDM thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    This is what I thought was the case, but i lacked the knowledge of anyone ever telling me.

12. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Personally, I always thought that the original campaign done by the cigarette companies was probably counter-productive. (It was the "Parents! Talk to your kids about smoking. They'll listen, even if they act like they don't." campaign.)

I always thought a much more effective campaign would be this:

Kids! More than 75% of people DON'T smoke. "Non-smokers" ARE the "crowd," the "gang," and your "pals." If you want to be part of the crowd, don't smoke.

I think this would be much more effective. A similar campaign in Minn. (I think) about cheating on taxes had good effects.

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Or better yet, have an advertisment that just reads: "When you smoke, you smell like <insert picture of dog poo here>. And no one likes to be around people who smell like poo."

:rolleyes: