What is the point of the new processors anyway???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jiddick ExRex, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

With the new Intel processors coming, and the new blazingly fast bus speed, a 64 bit chip, goind quad etc. etc. it's a all fine and dandy.

But isn't the real bottleneck now the Harddrive? I mean putting a 5200 rpm harddisk in a MBP? Is that not just a waste of good computer components? Sure not all tasks are HD-reliant once you're working but wouldn't it be a good time to start thinking about investing in a faster HD or perhaps for the developers to start thinking about creating bigger flash-based HDD?

Discuss!

2. steelfist macrumors 6502a

personally, i think that the computers are fine where they are. however, one thing i'm waiting for is hard drives with parellel mapping, and that can let computers have huge capacities with the same space.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's a comforting thought to take home from the office where I've left a Carrara render going overnight. About 8 hours or so on a dual 2.5 G5.

Computers are just fine where they are.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Computer are pretty much fine for me as all I render are pretty much nothing larger than 11x17 @ 300 dpi.

5. wako macrumors 65816

Trust me... computer engineers are WAY ahead of you. Infact Samsung is releasing a flash based HDD soon. For a few gigs guess how much it costs? a few thousand....

Flash memory simply arent cheap. For a few mb its a already a few dollars. On a disk, you get a few gigs for a few cents. Thats why they havent really gone flash based yet.