What is the quietest Powermac G4 Tower

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Jan 8, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

The MDD G4s are famous for soundling like leaf blowers. How do the other ones compare - what are the quietest?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The models that proceeded them, Quicksilver and Digital Audio. edit- and lets not forget the coolest of all the Cube no noise.

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It's my Dual CPU MMD G4 w/ the quiet PSU and fan kit straight from Apple.

4. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

hard drives

i would say the two hard drives and the Graphic card fan make more noise than my Sawtooth PSU.
    If I close my eyes and imagine, I can almost picture a sawmill away in the distance with the fresh smell of cut pine wafting down the thick wooded valley....
    maybe not.

5. tom.96 macrumors regular

I've have the pleasure of using a friends single proc quicksilver and it is very quiet

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My '02 QuickSilver isn't bad, when I had it on the floor I hardly heard it at all. Now I moved it on to my desk (it's a beautiful design) it's more noisy than I realized, but it's not to bad.

7. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Quicksilver = loud

I have a dual 800 quicksilver and it's awful. I used to be able to hear it out the office, down the hall, and halfway up the stairs, probably a good 40ft away and around corners. After replacing all the fans except the one on the superdrive and doing all kinds of quiet case mods, I can at least stand to be in the same room with it, but it's still terribly noisy compared to the nearly silent Dell sitting next to it.

If you're saying it's better than the MDD I can't imagine how bad they are!

8. iGav macrumors G3

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm not sure why people say they sound like "leaf blowers." I've got a MDD dual 1.25ghz G4, and yeah it's louder than an iMac, but certainly no louder than your average PC.

10. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Same here. Got my 1.25 dual this past September and it's no louder than any of my friend's PC's. Even though the new MDD's fan issues are fixed, I guess it's the luck of the draw to a degree still.

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i've changed out the 120 and the cpu fan on my QS, and it's still pretty loud, though, now it's the 8500 fan, and maybe a PSU fan replacement in the near future.. it's not bad now since it's rather cold now, but in the summer.. it's worse than my friends MDD w/ replaced PSU.

my powerbase is really really quiet. :D

12. Doraemon macrumors 6502

My PM G4 466 (Digital Audio) is pretty quiet.

But it's not like you really have a choice. I mean, you wouldn't want to exchange a MDD with the smallest Digital Audio?!
    (if you do, feel free to send me a PM ;))

13. Calliander macrumors member

There used to be an exchange/upgrade kit for the MDD models. As long as your unit is under warranty, though, you should be able to get the upgraded Power Supply and Pabst Fan. If you take it to the Apple Store, they should be able to do it there. If you go to an AASP, they will need to order one of the two parts and then order another one 30 days later.

If you're not under warranty, you could get the Pabst fan for pretty cheap. The Power Supply is a burden, though.

14. Mblazened macrumors regular

you can't say one model of g4 is more quiet than another. Each computer sounds different, even if they are the same kind. Some people just get some loud machines. MDD are the loudest, though. My quicksilver2002 is quiet.

15. Calliander macrumors member

You have to keep in mind, too, that a lot of Mac users are doing music production and they need that machine to be as quiet as possible. MDDs are the best G4 for music, obviously, and they can be pretty loud.

16. macer1 macrumors newbie

i have a MDD dual 867 G4 sitting next to me and i think its as loud as my old B&W 350 G3.

the MDD dual 867 G4 is nothing compaired to my OLD 486. now those were loud

17. Mblazened macrumors regular

well if you really want to hear a loud mac, run a g5 without the service door in place.... All of the fans will blast and that is the loudest mac you will ever hear.