What is the scariest thing you have seen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheDance511, Mar 9, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2007
    California soon
    Hey guys... Whats your scariest experience...The absolute most horrific sight you have ever layed your eyes on. Mine was when I saw a man get beat in front of me in Houston. That was very scary.. Poor guy... I must have been 13 and was visiting my uncle...We were walking on the side walk.. inner city... and man A is tlaking to man B..they yell and man A hits man B and they start fighting ...My uncle made us go the other way to stay away from it even though if i had a cell phone I would of called someone..:( what if he had kids? then daddy has to explain why he is all beat up..so sad:( whats your experience?
  2. noaccess macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2005
    Being in a car going 70 mph, literally flying off the side of the road, me in it on the front passenger seat, the car tumbling a few times downhill until coming to a complete stop -- thankfully right side up.

Fast forward a bit, the dust clears up, there's shattered glass everywhere, blood from the driver's head spattered all over my clothes :eek:, everyone unconscious except me. A minute later, people start waking up, moaning, and then a few more minutes later there are tens of poeple gathered on the side of the road, looking amazed at the crumpled car.

That is my definition of true scary, which could've been worse if I hadn't just left a party where I had quite a few glasses of wine. Sadly, the same was true for the driver :(
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Looking up to see a car wreck that just happened in front of me (uphill in fog so I didn't see it), then stopping the car and running up to theirs to see the woman in the front seat, with blood running down her face, begging me to help her.

Still feel nervous whenever I drive down that stretch of road (which I have to do daily).
  4. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
  5. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    During a meeting I was facing oout a window. Behind my boss, through the window, from about 50 yards I watched a 7 story concrete garage under construction colapse. Through the cloud of dust I could make out a man falling to his death as concrte crubled and a cloud of dust rolled up the window pane. After the dust cleared, there were three bodies on the ground not moving.

I could only image what it was like when the towers fell in NYC...
  6. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    But seriously, I was among a bunch of people that saw a body wash ashore on a beach, It was not really scary but disturbing, The police said he committed suicide.
  7. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2006
    35 Miles From Chicago, Illinois
  8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
  9. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    When I was nine, I witnessed my first and only case of a bloody domestic violence. In the back alley of Hastings street, a native indian was chasing after his wife with a knife, and you could see she was bleeding pretty badly. He was yelling and she was screaming for someone to call 911.

If you travel further into the downtown core, you often see the bottom of humanity in the faces of the heroin addicts and their dealers. Walking in that part of town is a scary experience, especially with all the needles and used condoms strewn across the pavement and in the back alleys.
  10. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Definitely the scariest thing.

I told my mom she should've been charged with animal abuse when she forced our dog to watch The View. She was watching the People's Court, and left the TV on and went somewhere, and after that, The View was on and my poor dog had no way of changing the channel. I woke up about midway through and ran to the TV and turned something else on :D

Seriously, I don't think I've seen anything too scary. I've seen the aftermath of what must've been some pretty scary sh*t (car accidents, etc) but I've never witnessed anything.
  11. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    Personally, my soccer referee who was hit by lightning. Me + my mom heard (or saw, not both) the lightning and ran to our car but then we saw him there lying on the field...purple. He died.

Also...just 9/11 on the tv screen was horrifying. And easily the most important even to happen in the world in my lifetime.
  12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I have to agree with SpicyApple
    the Downtown Eastside in Vancouver is pretty bad.
    You see everything from junkies shooting up on the street corner to $5 hookers giving blowjobs in the doorways. :(

The most disturbing thing I ever saw there was one of the hookers had just received a red-hot coathanger wire whipping to her back from her pimp (common practice), and her back was bleeding through her skimpy top, and was walking down the street with a needle in the arm, looking for customers.:eek:

My personal most scary sight that I still have nightmares about was:
    A guy driving his car down mountain highway, took the turn too closely and his back wheels caught the angled fence, his car became airborne and flipped over once, then landed 2m down in the creek. he was not wearing his seatbelt and his face had hit the steering wheel, he was also carrying empty beer bottles in the back seat , these flew forward and bashed his head open, I was one of the first people on the scene, I had just been folding towels when this happened and I had one in my hand when I ran out. This guy's head was smashed open in the back with his brain exposed. I did put the towel one it to stop the bleeding and parts to fall out. He was awake and looking at us begging for help, he died about 7 minutes after the crash, the ambulance did not arrive for 20 mins.
    it wasnt until the paramedics pulled him out and cleaned off his face , that we recognized him, he had just celebrated his 18th birthday the weekend I was there at the party, got a drivers license and new car, and was taking the bottles from his b-day celebrations back to recycling. If he had not been carrying them he would have probably lived. I was really depressing to live there after seeing a little white cross right outside my window.
  13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been scared by horror movies a few times, but I saw something in person that was scarier than any of them.

While we were on vacation out in the country, going for a walk around the neighborhood of our cabin, I discovered that my son had toddled near a concrete-lined excavation pit along the road (for the basement of a home to be built, I assume). It wasn't roped off in any way and I could see he was in danger of falling into the one-story-high pit. He was only a few feet from the edge.

My blood turned cold.

I realized that if I ran toward him, he might think it was a game and run away from me, which would be toward the pit. So I said his name loudly enough to make him freeze, and then I keep walking toward him while talking to him, trying not to look like I was running. I got there and scooped him up, but my pulse must have been a four-digit number.
  14. mistyz23 macrumors member

Feb 10, 2007
    Hmmm not really the scariest, but one of the grossest. Maybe my 2nd time working on a code (I worked in the ER) we had a guy come in who had choked on something. I was doing compressions and switched out with someone and her compressions caused the corpse to vomit on me. He wasn't alive anymore, it was just stagnant vomit that was 'massaged' out, if you will.

Scariest was probably when I was driving in pouring rain and saw a silver SUV go from one side of the freeway to the other, about 5 stories above ground. Somehow, the SUV was caught by a tree and tumbled in the tree but never fell down. If they hadn't hit that tree, they would have gone over a cliff. I was the first to call 911 and was really shook up by it. I was on my way to a job interview. Needless to say I did not get the job, but that was a very small detail in the grand scheme of things.
  15. mistyz23 macrumors member

Feb 10, 2007
    Wow. That is some scary stuff. Good thinking on how to keep him from running.
  16. amd4me macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2006
    You live in vancouver dont you?
    Hastings and Main is considered "ground zero" by the VPD.
  17. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

May 4, 2005
    You ought to read newspapers a bit more. This event is positively trivial in recent world history no matter which way you consider it.

From the 20th Century Atlas:-

According to the 21 March 1998 Times Union (Albany), the UN Food and Agriculture Organization estimated that 1,000,000 Iraqis, incl. 560,000 children, died as a result of malnutrition and disease caused by the international embargo.
    Ramsey Clark: 1,500,000 including 750,000 children [http://www.twf.org/News/Y1997/Ramsey.html]
    UNICEF: 500,000 excess child deaths (under-five) 1991 to 1998 [http://www.unicef.org.uk/index_s.asp?sct=news&filen=../news/iraq1.htm]
    6 Aug. 1999 CNN [http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9908/06/iraq.sanctions/]
    UN: 1M excess deaths
    Al-Thawra newspaper: 1.5M

These are from something as simple as the US led embargo.

The most horrific thing I've seen are poor souls like these. Victims of American terrorism. Pity the 3rd world mums and dads who are left without a cent to raise the ones that live.

Attached Files:

• 105.jpg
      File size:
      20.7 KB
    • 100.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
  18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
  19. maccam macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2007
    I flipped my snowmobile while going 35+ mph, the snowmobile flipped, twirled, backflipped and frontflipped, I was tangled in with it, I landed and it lands one foot beside me :eek: nothing was wrong with me :eek:
    my two brothers were there to witnes it.
  20. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2007
    California soon
    yeah...thats your SON probably the most important thing to you in the whole world....good job....very very frightening
  21. annk Administrator

Staff Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Terrifying. Hope you don't have nightmares about it still.
  22. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2005
    One cold October night I awoke when I thought I heard something downstairs. As silent as I could, I got out of bed and sneaked downstairs.
    First I checked the kitchen, everything seemed normal. Though I couldn't shake this feeling of foreboding. I quickly checked all the other rooms and found nothing amiss.

I assumed I was just going crazy and started back to bed.
    Halfway up the stairs I suddenly realized....
    My heart skipped a few beats as I raced back to the kitchen. There, I saw it.
    With sweaty palms I reached for it and removed the lid.
    Transfixed, I gazed inside the jar.

After a couple of seconds, my brain started to function again. I fell to the floor as I let out a blood curdling scream:

I still have nightmares.
  23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Now I'm REALLY scared! This could happen to any of us, unless we live in a climate where it's not cold in October.
  24. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Coming home from town one afternoon in a thunderstorm.

I gave my coat to Caroline and ran ahead to unlock the front door. As I'm turning onto my road a huge bolt of lightning shot down. Scary as hell. Funny thing is I could hear the rain but the lighting was more or less silent. Everything paused for a second.
    Funny thing is the same moment happened a year later. Home from town with Caroline. Lighting bolt overhead. Same place too... Too strange.

There was the time a massive storm just hit us by surprise. Walking the dog in T-Shirt weather. Next thing I know I'm trapped on the quarry with a large tornado forming (in England too!). Basically just lept under a tree (no lightning) then legged it to a friends house.
  25. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Jan 15, 2007
    While working at a bank about 2 years ago at 8:45am 3 robbers came into the bank with guns, jumped over the counter (teller area, not protected with bullet proof glass) and forced everybody down.

Next thing I know, I have a 9mm pressed against my temple and was told to get up and put the money in the bag. So, I complied and walked over to each teller station (while trying not to step over my friends) and put the money in the bag.

After I completed that, I was told to get back down on the floor. They left, I checked to make sure everybodys ok and asked if anybody pulled the alarm. My manager in all his brilliance pulled in the middle of the robbery! That was scarier than having the gun against my head.

(To clarify: Bank policy is to give the robbers what they want and once the robbery is over you then pull the silent alarm.)

True story.