Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Yeah, the problem is caused by EMI/RFI that's radiated along the data path of USB 3.0 as it scrambles the data in a spread spectrum environment. It's the spread spectrum clocking that is at the root of most of the problems. I don't see masking tape factoring into a good solution. I have pondered the construct of a faraday cage like assembly encapsulating the PCIe card, aluminum tape to aid in the construction of such a homemade apparatus might be considered. Also there needs to be a heavily shielded cable and the need to move your USB 3 drive as far as possible from your computer/BT devices. A lot of RFI/EMI is escaping right at the port connector as well. It really is a poorly designed standard.

That said, BT could have been done better too. It's not very robust and has its own problems even with USB taken out of the equation.

I have had pretty good luck simply putting ferrite cores on both ends of my USB 3.0 cables. That seems to greatly improve my issues with the bluetooth magic mouse.

I got them at Amazon (the larger 7mm ones fit most of my cables best):
7mm:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXTPBRY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

5mm:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CIQD83K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Here is a complete list:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=industrial&field-keywords=bluecell+ferrite+core

-howard

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have had pretty good luck simply putting ferrite cores on both ends of my USB 3.0 cables. That seems to greatly improve my issues with the bluetooth magic mouse.

I got them at Amazon (the larger 7mm ones fit most of my cables best):
7mm
-howard

Yes, I have considered them too, but haven't tried them. Glad to here it's working pretty well for you.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Just quick post. One of the ports on my Rocket U 1144C died this morning. RocketU's web site is not easily navigated. I bought mine in September of last year, so it should be covered under warranty, but they want the old card back AND you pay shipping both ways. I've started a case file with them, and I'll post up what happens.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Just quick post. One of the ports on my Rocket U 1144C died this morning. RocketU's web site is not easily navigated. I bought mine in September of last year, so it should be covered under warranty, but they want the old card back AND you pay shipping both ways. I've started a case file with them, and I'll post up what happens.

Returning the old card required is okay, but not the postal charges both way! They should ship a new card free of any charges to you.

Good luck Lou!

Cheers

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Lou, let me know how the progress goes. If you have any issues other than shipping, I can probably help, just send me a PM.

Did you register the card with HP when you received?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Thanks Jackson. No, I didn't register the card when I bought it, I registered it this afternoon before I made my trouble report. They have answered my report with questions, that I answered, and requests for screen shots, that I provided.

Lou

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
I'm looking into buying a RocketU 1144C but it is RIDICULOUSLY priced in the Netherlands/EU. It would cost €150,- at minimum and some shops even go as far as to ask €190,- while US shops (Newegg, Amazon, BHP PhotoVideo) offer the same product at €63,-. Borderlinx (US to EU shipping service) would charge €40,- to ship, so it would be cheaper in that way, but it still feels stupid to pay so much more.

Does anyone know of a way to obtain this card in the EU at a fair pricepoint?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm looking into buying a RocketU 1144C but it is RIDICULOUSLY priced in the Netherlands/EU. It would cost €150,- at minimum and some shops even go as far as to ask €190,- while US shops (Newegg, Amazon, BHP PhotoVideo) offer the same product at €63,-. Borderlinx (US to EU shipping service) would charge €40,- to ship, so it would be cheaper in that way, but it still feels stupid to pay so much more.

It's decently priced in the U.S. Considering it's specs. See if you can get the Sonnet Allegro Pro any cheaper, it has similar specs. (mainly being a 4-Controller/4-Port card).

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland

Alternate.de has it @ 105€. Not so bad, if you can take the VAT out of it...
I've been ordering them some things to my small part-time business, they don't have automatic VAT reduction system, but you can order just with e-mails. Wide variety and nice prices...

EDIT: as always compare.eu is your friend and once again alternate.de is the cheapest there...

Last edited:

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
It's decently priced in the U.S. Considering it's specs. See if you can get the Sonnet Allegro Pro any cheaper, it has similar specs. (mainly being a 4-Controller/4-Port card).

Using compare.eu it starts at €150,- :/ and besides, the RocketU model does have my preference when I look at the experiences.

Alternate.de has it @ 105€. Not so bad, if you can take the VAT out of it...
I've been ordering them some things to my small part-time business, they don't have automatic VAT reduction system, but you can order just with e-mails. Wide variety and nice prices...

EDIT: as always compare.eu is your friend and once again alternate.de is the cheapest there...

I cannot deduct VAT since I'm not a business-owner and Alternate.de is a daughter-company of the Dutch Alternate.nl, they charge 133,- including shipping, not too bad but still double the US price.. I just really hate paying too much, call me Dutch :D . I don't get why all shipping services from the US charge at least 40,- (FedEx, USPS, UPS) while buying something on Ebay from the US is usually a lot cheaper to ship.

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
So is there any way of stopping drives being disconnected on sleep? It's seriously annoying!

Apologies if it's answered elsewhere, I did have a search but couldn't find anything.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012

I ordered mine from amazon.com in the US & they shipped to UK. The price including shipping & taxes & customs (all paid up front) was half what the card would have cost from amazon.co.uk. I am sure that they will ship to the netherlands too.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
I ordered mine from amazon.com in the US & they shipped to UK. The price including shipping & taxes & customs (all paid up front) was half what the card would have cost from amazon.co.uk. I am sure that they will ship to the netherlands too.

Thanks! I didn't realize this! I thought Amazon would only deliver in countries they're actually operating in. Just placed my order for ±€85,- including shipping and taxes, estimated arrival 12-20 August, not bad!

Babyboi

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
so question,

Let's say I buy either the RocketU 1144C or the Allegro Pro 4-Port USB 3. They both have dedicated controllers for each USB 3 port. But I want to get a USB 3 Hub. Will the bandwidth be limited to 5Gb/s for my USB 3 hard drives connected to the USB Hub? or will I be able to take advantage of the other controllers using one USB 3 Hub?

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
so question,

Let's say I buy either the RocketU 1144C or the Allegro Pro 4-Port USB 3. They both have dedicated controllers for each USB 3 port. But I want to get a USB 3 Hub. Will the bandwidth be limited to 5Gb/s for my USB 3 hard drives connected to the USB Hub? or will I be able to take advantage of the other controllers using one USB 3 Hub?

In short: Yes. No.

Explanation:
That would be limited to the capabilities of the USB3.0 port the hub is connected to. So a 4 port USB3.0 hub would divide the 5.0Gb/s over the connected devices. Given that one device could use more throughput than the other (mouse/keyboard vs USB SSD/HDD) this would be distributed accordingly.

Babyboi

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
In short: Yes. No.

Explanation:
That would be limited to the capabilities of the USB3.0 port the hub is connected to. So a 4 port USB3.0 hub would divide the 5.0Gb/s over the connected devices. Given that one device could use more throughput than the other (mouse/keyboard vs USB SSD/HDD) this would be distributed accordingly.

Ahh, thank you sir

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
so question,

Here's the issue. If you get a USB 3 hub. It plugs into 1 port of you PCIe card and therefore only has access to the bandwidth of a single port. It then divides that bandwidth amongst the USB ports being used on the HUB.

Consider the ports on the back of the PCIe card as the HUB, instead of using an external HUB. Most USB devices don't really benefit from the additional bandwidth of USB 3.0. Plug your slower devices into your USB 2.0 ports/Hubs, and leave the USB 3.0 for highspeed devices like harddrives/SSDs. If you need more USB 3.0 ports for storage devices, then you have 2 choices. Either use the USB 3.0 Hub and devide the bandwidth of one port (assuming you only use one Hub), or install a second PCIe card. I was running 2 4-Port cards for a while and they worked perfectly for me.

Last edited:

Babyboi

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
Here's the issue. If you get a USB 3 hub. It plugs into 1 port of you PCIe card and therefore only has access to the bandwidth of a single port. It then divides that bandwidth amongst the USB ports being used on the HUB.

Cosider the ports on the back of the PCIe card as the HUB, instead of using an external HUB. Most USB devices don't really benefit from the additional bandwidth of USB 3.0. Plug your slower devices into your USB 2.0 ports/Hubs, and leave the USB 3.0 for highspeed devices like harddrives/SSDs. If you need more USB 3.0 ports for storage devices, then you have 2 choices. Either use the USB 3.0 Hub and devide the bandwidth of one port (assuming you only use ne Hub), or install a second PCIe card. I was running 2 4-Port cards for a while and they worked perfectly for me.
yeah that makes sense. I have a music studio desk (image attached) and the front panel makes it easy to access the front USB ports of the Mac Pro. I use portable USB 3.0 HDDs that have short cables so it's easier to plug in from the front USB 2.0. Maybe a solution for me would be to get USB 3 extension cables.

CRjackson, I read your review of the Sonnet Allegro Pro and I am thinking about purchasing it. It is nice, but the $129 price tag makes me want to get the RocketU 1144C

Attachments

• IMG_4811.JPG
    IMG_4811.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 184

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
They're both great cards but the Sonnet Pro cost quite a bit more. The RocketU is a little faster but not enough to make a big deal over. I've had one drive (out of more than I care to count) that is flakey on the RocketU. The issue is really with the drive rather than the PCIe card, but the Sonnet Allegro Pro does handle the drive better than the RocketU.

Given that the RocketU is less expensive and a little faster as well, it's hard to justify the additional expence of the Sonnet. The one thing I really like about the Sonnet is that it's using FrescoLogic controllers.

Also, for your use case, I do recommend you get some high quality, shielded cables long enough to reach your drives. Shy away from extension cables and use direct cabling to the drive. An extension cable just presents another connection/splice point for RFI/EMI leakage or other connection issues.

Last edited:

Babyboi

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
They're both great cards but the Sonnet Pro cost quite a bit more. The RocketU is a little faster but not enough to make a big deal over. I've had one drive (out of more than I care to count) that is flakey on the RocketU. The issue is really with the drive rather than the PCIe card, but the Sonnet Allegro Pro does handle the drive better than the RocketU.

Given that the RocketU is less expensive and a little faster as well, it's hard to justify the additional expence of the Sonnet. The one thing I really like about the Sonnet is that it's using FrescoLogic controllers.

Also, for your use case, I do recommend you get some high quality, shielded cables long enough to reach your drives. Shy away from extension cables and use direct cabling to the drive. An extension cable just presents another connection/splice point for RFI/EMI leakage or other connection issues.
To be honest, I think I may just go ahead and get the Sonnet Allegro over the RocketU due to stability. Flaky is not going to cut it for me. Plus I like the sound of the ability to charge devices with the Allegro.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't think you can go wrong with either card. I didn't mean to say the RocketU was flaky. It's not at all. The drive enclosure was flaky and spazzed out on every USB interface card I owned. It just happened to work better on this particular card. To date I've never had a single issue with the RocketU 1144C.

Babyboi

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
I don't think you can go wrong with either card. I didn't mean to say the RocketU was flaky. It's not at all. The drive enclosure was flaky and spazzed out on every USB interface card I owned. It just happened to work better on this particular card. To date I've never had a single issue with the RocketU 1144C.
What's the difference between FrescoLogic controller and the one from the RocketU? which company has better customer support?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.