What is the weather like in Alaska during summertime?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by diehldun, Jun 30, 2006.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    Well we're going on a family cruise to Alaska tomorrow, and although I went a few years back (I was very little), I don't know what to pack/wear while there!

I've heard from some people that the weather can actually get quite warm there; others have said it's cold and you must pack turtle-necks, sweaters, etc.

I went to weather.com and it shows about 60-64 fahrenheit in Anchorage, with some clouds and sun. Pardon my ignorance, but is it similar to Seattle????

Any Alaskan macrumorers out there? Thanks! :D
  2. reh macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2003
    I've lived near Copper Center, AK for about five years. This area can easily be anywhere between 50 and 75+ in the summer and usually fairly dry. Along the southern coastal areas (say, Valdez to Anchorage), you'll probably hit similar temps, but a wee bit more humid. On the water, it can get pretty cold with the wind.

So, in summary, I'd say pack clothes for 50 degrees with a stiff breeze and 80 degrees with no wind. That should cover most everything you're likely to encounter. A light jacket would be handy.
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Widgets are your friends.

Attached Files:

4. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    Cambridge, MA USA
    I'd live there if I could...

Wow Alaska, I haven't been back in a decade. I assume there's a lot less to see of the glaciers I visited back then (If they're even there anymore). The weather is perfect during the summer nice and warm, but not too hot. I remember it being kinda cold a couple of mornings. That was probably because one of the hotels was between a mountain and a lake full of ice. The other places I stayed weren't cold at all.
    I would bring a jacket or sweatshirt. And at least a few of pairs of long pants depending on how long you're staying and where you're going, but shorts are usually fine. You won't need a heavey winter coat if that is what you were thinking.
    The hardest thing to get used to is the sun only going down for a short period of time. If you're not ruffing it I would make sure your room has thick heavey drapes to block out all that sunlight. I stayed in a cabin with only lite curtains at one place and didn't get any sleep.
  5. true777 macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2000
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    Dress in layers, but make sure to include some warm clothes.
    I was there in the summer a few years back, and we did encounter some very cold spots. The weather is mild in general, but cold in some areas.
  6. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    I mostly agree with what they said, but I'll make one addition.

You're cruising? That means you're moving at around 15-20 knots - the wind will be cold. Take a windbreaker or a fleece for moving around topside.
  7. sturigdson macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2006
    Oooh, bears!

Have fun up there. Should be pretty nice weather. Went several years ago around this time, cool in the evenings, sunny during the day. Was nice.
  8. halVORTEX macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2005
    alaska REPRESENT
    Right now the weather really isnt that bad here in southcentral (Wasilla) But since you are cruising through the southeast most likely yeah you will want to bring stuff for the wind. But other than that you should have a great time. If you happen to stop in skagway there is a local place that offers dog sled rides on a glacier. I know someone who works up there and it is just a phenomenal tour.
  9. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    yeah, I've mostly packed pants (jeans, etc.), sweaters, turtle-necks, and jackets. I hadn't planned on bringing shorts though, however.