What is the WORST infomarcial?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kingsly, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

In your opinion, what is the worst infomercial? Which one really gets under your skin and makes you want to scream?
    For me its the Ab Lounge, Ionic Breeze Quadra, and Neutrogena Regenerist microdermabrasion system. Oh yeah, the Bowflex one with the 50 year old grandmother one is starting to get annoying.
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Any of those awful US ones where people are acting interested in the product. What is it with the yanks and having poms in their infomercials?

Magic Bullet is particularly awful.
  3. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Those Enzyte ones.

And I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the Moster Ballads infomercial which Comedy Central seems to show once every commercial break. With all of the CC I watch, I began to memorize that commercial, and I HATE 80s music.
  4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    She is far too hot to be a 50 year old grandmother

I think the worst is the Magic Bullet... it's so corny that it's funny.

...I wish it was on right now :eek: ....
  5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Its hilarious when they try to impress the audience with big words and "science"
    Like the Faraday flashlight. "Uses faraday's law of magnetic induction to generate elctricity!"
    Uhh, yeah. So does everything else.

Saw the magic bullet one a few days ago, eyes still recovering.
    "What is it jerry?"
    "Well sara, its the all new whatchamagadget!"
    "Its amazing!"
    "buy one today!"
  6. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    I think me and my friends are weird because we absolutely love watching them when we're board. They just are so calming yet just enough action to keep you interested.

Since I dont hate them my favorite would have to be the Magic Bullet one because they try to make it a move...;) :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :p ...:eek:
  7. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    maybe not infomercial per se but a long annoying commercial... those OxyClean products. that guy drives me nuts. why is he always yelling?
    there's some other commercial with a dumb old guy in a Joker-esque suit that is selling a book about "free money" (to pay your bills) but he talks like the most irksome creature on earth. i swear if i ever see that prick in person i will punch him square in the nose for making such horrific commercials.

i am a chronic insomniac and i have to see all that crap. those two mentions are my biggest pests.

exercise and weight loss infomercials tick me off too, complete rubbish and they drone on and on with their paid actors about it.

advertising bugs me i guess. this is why i love HBO and watch the shows on it most of the time.
  8. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Okay, I just had the most... weird experience of my life (well, its in the top 20 list)
    Has anyone seen the "Dual Drill" infomercial? It is the epitome of wide eyed farm boy (or girl) comes to hollywierd (growing up there gives me the right to call it that) to make it big in movies. The said person books the worlds most cheesy infomercial and somehow manages to screw it up even more with their acting skills (or lack thereof).
    Please: watch late night TV, if anything else, to see the Dual Drill commercial. You will have the time of your life.
    The Free money to pay your bills guy bugs me. Especially since I can hear some Apple loops running in the background music. Ruins Soundtrack for me.

iBlue: Next time you se the Oxy Clean guy, watch his hands. Its even stranger than the yelling.
  9. matt459 macrumors member

"Set it, and forget it!!!"...

~Anyone know it?
  10. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't have a particular worst infomercial, more an entire genre. All those dieting infomercials make me wanna.....i dunno, they make me wanna do something. Another worst is that Kevin guy that is trying to sell that 'Cure THEY don't want you to know about' book. I heard on TV someone was investigating him(I think it was ABC for some reason), wondering why 90 percent of the book wasn't on cures at all. All he said was 'Look at Chapter 6' over and over again. Really wierd.
  11. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    Magic Bullet infomercial is bad--what's with the smoking lady in the kitchen??? Ewwww!

However, we got a Magic Bullet for our wedding and love it. It doesn't chop frozen foods like it does in the infomercial, but it's decent. Makes a mean morning soy protein shake. Mmm...

The Miracle Blade infomercial is particularly humorous. My old roommates and I once had the idea of making a spinoff infomercial of the blades (since they'd bought them) where we show how easily it cuts through butter, bread, tomatoes, etc, etc. It was one of those late night ideas.... Never came to fruition.
  12. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    That roaster thingy!!
  13. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    How about the ones hawking the 'space bags' as a more compact way to store your useless crap? The corniest part has to be at the end where they throw that bucket of water at the bag with the clothing... how lame can you get?

Another is the 'pops-a-dent' commercials where the tree falls on the woman's car... who on earth came up with that one? :D
  14. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Set it and Forget it.

Best infomercial ever.

I couldn't have a worst they are all awesome to watch at 3AM
  15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
  16. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    "The Juicer" and it's various incarnations.

I still remember Jim Carrey doing a spoof on this one on In Living Color years ago.
  17. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I hate the Betty Crocker "filled cake" commercials! The music is corny and-and its just horrible.

Any time they bring in the overly enthusiastic guys from Britain, you know its gonna be good.;)
  18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Believe it or not, but I've been to the "Juiceman's" house! One of his kids was in one of my classes in 9th grade and we did a video for some project together. I only briefly met the guy, but I can assure you, he's an odd one.
  19. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    ARGH! that is the guy i was talking about. his voice makes me cringe. "my book will show you how to tell bill collectors to shove it". i'd like to tell him to shove it.

him and that oxy-clean guy, what is with that yelling? there's something about being up in the middle of the night and being yelled at by an infomercial that can really piss you off. :p
  20. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    The Natural Cures guy. Terrible book, by the way. Pick it up at a bookstore and try to read it. It always points back to their website.
  21. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

It's pretty funny how Americans stereotype anyone with a British accent as being an authority/someone worth listening to figure. I wonder if that stems from the colonial period or simply the fact that British people seem smarter (I, of course, do not mean to imply any of you brits are dumb!:D). Woo! If I ever take a psych class I think I know what my term paper is going to be!

Anyway, has anyone seen the overly enthusiastic British guy selling that mop thingy?
  22. CompUser Guest

I love watching informercials.

Number 1 has to go to the magic bullet

There is also this one on every so often thats like 20min long about a laxative. Its hillarious because its so stupid, its from the 80's, and the "doctor" looks like this really sleezy character.

They claim by taking the laxative you will loose 10lbs of coagulated sh** inside of you.
  23. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Its amazing what people will do to loose weight. "And now its a 'feel good' pill, too!"
    In ten years the western world (particularly America) will suffer a major epidemic because we take a pill for everything and no longer have immunities to germs, depression, burgers, etc. Its going to be the 1600's in America all over again. Except this time, the native americans are going to be the only survivors!
  24. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    that's depressing. i think i'll go take some pills. :p
  25. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    It all goes back to the Revolutionary War... it's why Brits are always cast as the bad guys in movies. Take Star Wars, for example... the Death Star was FULL of English Imperial officers:

Imperial Officer: "What is it, Leftenant Sebastian?"
    Lt. Sebastian: "It's the Rebels, sir. They're here."
    Imperial Officer: "Do they want tea?"
    Lt. Sebastian: "No, I think they're after rather more than that. I'm not sure what it is, but they've brought a flag."
    Imperial Officer: "Damn! That's dash cunning of them!"