What is the worst thing to happen to your Apple...

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Apr 18, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    Anyone have some not-so-good happenings with your Apple?

My friend had a party and was using his lapple iBook as the music source and through out the night it was splashed with beer and waxed spilled on to the keyboard. He had to get the wireless card and keyboard replaced. He now burns CD's and plays them at parties.

Any good stories for the retinas?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i am on my third keyboard, mostly water *cough* alcoholic beverage *cough* spills. the iMac has also been dropped down a set of stairs, somehow it still works fine though...

the absolute worst thing to happen to it though was when i tried to install virtual pc or anything made by aol.

ba-dump ching! :D
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Haven't personally had anything terrible happen to my laptop, but here's a thread with a few tales of horror.
  4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    In my Powermac, the logic board just died one day, in the middle of running iChat and Safari.

I didn't have Applecare, and missed the buy in cut off by one week, so I was SOL. I was so proud and happy with that machine too. A Dual 1.25 Mirror Door PM with all the trimmings.

Oh well, in a few weeks I should be able to get a Dual 2.0 G5.

In retrospect, its all good.

In the time it took me to write this reply, 34,530,248 PCs crashed.

5. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Worst thing ever -> My MacPlus refused to die and I would not spend the $ on a new Mac till it did. So I waited, year after year, while 'ol dependable continued to plod along. Finally it croaked. I bought a Motorola StarMax 3000 to replace it, and that still works too. But, I have long since moved on from the 603e.
  6. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    Well as i DJ, my iMac goes through alot of S**t, but i have had many beers spilled on my Keyboard which killed it but i made it work again, opened it up and found some very interesting tings in it. Also at another party i had set up on a very weak table and the legs of the table broke three(3) times in one night and my comp just rolled off each time. And once right at the begginning of a party i had to use some fong kong power supply and then my mac didn't boot anymore, this put me in deep S**T cos i still had the hole night to DJ and i had to Borrow another CD PLayer system from the host venue.

Well after 6 years, my mac still works fine. :D
    Thank-you Apple
  7. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2002
    Washington DC USA
    Spilled coke on my keyboard twice. Put it in the bath both times. Then let if dry for a week. Still works :p
  8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    bad fall with my ibook and the cd tray open broke it...:-( (just the cd tray-the ibook is ok otherwise)
  9. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I'll start off with my brother's 5260. He had a MIDI box that plugs into the serial port. He decided to internalise the MIDI box, which involved attacking the logic board with a soldering iron. Afterwards, he turned it on and it played the chimes of death (which were rather humourous). The problem? He'd forgotten to put the memory back in. It works fine again now :)

My iBook - got hit by the infamous logic board failure.

iBook (new logic board) - dropped it once. Didn't cause any problems.

Current G4 - no problems yet :D
  10. mrdeep macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    1 powerbook + 1 glass of milk + 1 cat = $1100
  11. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    My iBook stopped taking power from the adapter. I take it to the Apple Store to have it fixed, and the Genius sends it off.

Fast forward to 2 days later. I get a call on my cell phone from the Apple repair depot, saying that since my ethernet port is damaged, they will not fix the computer. I tell them it's an unrelated issue, but they maintain that the problem is the logic board and that part's warranty is void. Repair charge is $700, even though I have AppleCare.

But here's the worst/best part: The machine comes back and I take it apart. The problem turns out to be a LOOSE CABLE. I'm still deciding whether or not to call Apple and give them a piece of my mind about this.
  12. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    You definitely need to get on that... I had the logic board problem too. Apple has had me raise an eyebrow when I read/hear the trouble they give customers, with or without Applecare! (which seems to be the pass to the "special" club)

That is my tangent for this thread.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    well i'm extremely careful with my PB, so i hardly ever spill anything on it. :)

the worst has been some splatter from 2-minute noodles and soup, pasta, that kind of splattery stuff. :p i don't mind if i gets on the case, easy to wipe off, but on the screen is just a hassle to clean.

hey, i like that... "on the screen is a hassle to clean"

who'd have thunk it? i'm a poet and i didn't know it? :p :D
  14. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    I had to sell one of my iMacs to buy my brother-in-law a PC. I still have nightmares. Thinking about counselling.
  15. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    my PB ac adapter just died yesterday... not pleased. no accidents, just died for no reason...

at least, i hope it's the adapter brick and not the connection on the PB. $75 is a lot of money for a replacement adapter brick - if i had to buy a new PB, then it will cost me a lot more than that! (though with the update today, kinda tempting...) (not really. mine is just over a year old...)
  16. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    The worst thing to happen to me was using File Vault with out a recent backup. It seemed that during the encryption phase the image it saves to got corrupted ...(I posted a HELP!! request on MR when it happened, but I'm too lazy right now to find the link ;) ). Luckily I was able to use my Ti Book as a backup disk and got 90% of my files back but I lost alot of my GUI projects, some email, etc. To this day I haven't got the nerve back to try using filevault again. :( :mad: :(

I've also spilled Lemonade on the keyboard to my old Performa 6320CD. As soon as I spilled the suff on my keyboard the gut reaction was to turn the keyboard upside down, not caring that lemonade was now creeping across my desk and dripping onto my lap! :eek: I remember being impressed when I took apart my keyboard and saw that the keys rested on a circut board entirely coated in rubber... a pipe cleaner or two, some warm soapy water, and some good scrubbing was all it took to get it working again! :)
  17. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    drink holder availible?

When will Apple introduce iHold, a drink holder that clips into your USB and keeps it warm or cold? As well as anti-spill.

18. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I've actually been pretty lucky, and have not had any major problems with my mac. I don't eat or drink near my computer, so no spills either.

:Knocks on wood:
  19. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
    They took it into the back room at the airport...where 3 security personell went with it. They were there for 5-10 minutes with my beautiful new 17"...God only know what they were doing in there. That's my scariest moment
  20. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state

it's not apple but your prayers are (somewhat) answered: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/usb-cupwarmer-review.html
  21. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    getting your laptop stolen

it's unfortunately so easy

the next most common bad thing/worst thing would be dropping a laptop on a hard surface

then of course, spilling something on it

if i am using the laptop out in public but then have to use the wc, then i take it with me

i carefully grab the machine so not to drop it

when i have a drink, it sits on a different surface...always lower than the laptop

....so i haven't had any issues in over 4 years with two laptops
  22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In my case, it was Pepsi (iTMS promotion, you know) and it's in there soaking right now. How long should I give it to dry thoroughly? Does it really need a week?
  23. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    Just make sure to use the gentle cycle with some Woolite. Tide is a bit too aggressive on those lower keys. And for the dryer, I'd stick to 'delicates'...'permanent press' if it is an older keyboard. Skip ironing.
  24. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
  25. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    "A lamp fell from the shelf while writing, and it hit a huge tea mug 2 feet from the Powerbook (an alubook, the recent ones). The liquid flew of course to the worst imagineable place, keyboard and not just a few drops. (I would have got a heart attack at that point). A quick forced shutdown, removing the battery and the cables, drying the worst of the spills, and putting the 'Book to dry tilted slightly so that the back and the ventilation holes could get air and help drying the inside. Again, I assume, praying for a day or two, or untill it could have been dry. He put back on the battery, hit the power button - heard the chimes, logged in and like nothing had happened. The clock had moved to January 1970, and the disk utility found something to fix, but nothing else. I can't imagine what normally happens when liquid hits the keyboard, or what happens if it hits a pc keyboard"

MORE Mac accidents. < Example from that.